Honours even between England and Germany

Hollie Webb v Germany CT 2014 450

England 1 (0)
Ellie Watton 40 (FG)

Germany 1 (1)
Kristina Hillmann 22 (FG)

The spoils were shared in England's second Pool B fixture of the Champions Trophy as Danny Kerry's side were held 1–1 by Germany in an absorbing encounter.
Germany took the lead in the 22nd minute through Kristina Hillmann. However, St Albans striker Ellie Watton who was on hand yet again for England to score the equaliser in the 40th minute, her second goal in as many games this tournament.

England had the chance to take all three points when they were awarded a penalty stroke in the 57th minute. Goalkeeper Kristina Reynolds stood strong in the German goal though, saving George Twigg’s effort with an outstretched left leg.

Both teams were keen to get a win under their belts having lost their opening games of the tournament on Saturday. Lots of chances were created in an end to end, fast-paced sixty minutes of hockey. England’s Sophie Bray, Susie Gilbert and Watton looked threatening in attack, demonstrating silky stick skills. Watton combined with Bray, slipping it to her inside the circle but the No19's backhand shot was saved by Reynolds in an even opening quarter.

It was Germany who broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute. Kristina Hillmann slotted home from close range. Strong link up play down the left hand side of the pitch between Janne Müller-Wieland, Katharina Otte and Hillmann, resulted in Otte’s lifted shot at goal being tapped in on the post by Hillmann. The score remained at 1 – 0 heading into the half time break.

The start of the third quarter saw Germany go down to nine as two players were yellow carded in quick succession for mistimed tackles. Despite England being unable to capitalise on their advantage, their constant pressure on the German defence was soon rewarded. Shona McCallin’s driving run and pass fell to Watton, whose first-time finish beat Reynolds via a deflection off Hannah Gablac’s stick.

England dominated the final quarter with Joie Leigh, Lily Owsley and Laura Unsworth creating chances. A goalmouth scramble led to England calling for a video referral as a goal bound shot came off a German leg. Surbiton’s Twigg stepped up to take the resultant penalty stroke but her attempt was saved by the pads of the impressive Reynolds in the German goal, meaning both sides took home a point.

Captain Sam Quek reflected on England’s performance after the game:

"I think we started where we finished off yesterday. We were on the front foot, our momentum was good; we just didn't take our chances. I'm proud of the girls. We applied ourselves well and showed physically we are there. We had the legs and kept going to the end. We’re looking forward to the next game."

Enjoyed watching the enthralling game tonight? You can see a repeat of this fixture at the EuroHockey 2015 Championships next August. Book your seats for the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre now by clicking here!

England still have it all to play for as they prepare to take on hosts Argentina at 18.30 (GMT) on Tuesday 2nd December. You can watch the game live on Sky Sports or on Now TV.

Click here to keep up to date with all the other latest scores from the tournament.