Change Manager, Equality Diversity and InclusionEngland Hockey Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre, Buckinghamshire. Open to flexible arrangements but some travel to office will be required
England Hockey (EH) is the National Governing Body for the sport of Hockey. EH has income and expenditure of circa £9m p.a. It is responsible for the management and development of the sport from grass roots to elite activities.
EH has a membership comprising clubs (c800), counties and regions which affiliate to it. c150,000 individuals play regularly in the club system with an estimated 15,000 playing at university/college. Over 15,000 coaches, umpires and officials are supported and developed by EH.
EH employs 76 staff and also uses over 100 consultants in performance / coach / official / leadership education and development.
In this newly created role, you will have the unique opportunity to accelerate with pace the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I) agenda within the organisation and the sport, which is about challenging behaviours and driving positive cultural change for inclusion. The postholder will evolve and drive the development of EH’s Strategic plans, working in conjunction with key external stakeholders across the organisation, including HR and the newly formed ED&I Advisory Group to provide and implement solutions to complex equality, diversity and inclusion challenges across hockey within the framework of relevant legislation.
The post-holder will be expected to deliver expert advice and guidance, develop and implement strategic policies, practices and action plans to ensure that we not only meet our ED&I duties, aims and objectives, but also that equality, diversity and inclusion supports and enables the pursuit of excellence in all that we do.
- Act as a key ED&I ambassador for the sport through sharing positive success stories within the sport; promote good practice, encouraging greater ED&I focus across the sport, and work with partners such as UK Sport, Sport England, Inclusive Employers etc. to improve ED&I within hockey.
- Continue to evolve and drive the ED&I strategy across the organisation and game, via multi-year action plans, with key stakeholder engagement, ongoing awareness and education including event delivery and advocacy for positive change, supported by policies, procedures and process to deliver positive outcomes.
- Provide oversight for the full portfolio of ED&I related activity across the whole organisation as well as project managing some elements.
- Maintain and enhance ED&I data within the organisation to inform decisions and chart progress against KPIs ensuring the integrity and security of data is maintained.
- Lead in maintaining and reviewing implementation plans to ensure constant progress towards ED&I targets including those opening up greater access to the sport and enhancing representation in the governance structures of the sport.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies, procedures and strategies related to ED&I both within the organisation and working with regional managers, Areas and Clubs.
- Work with HR, the ED&I Project Manager and other Managers to ensure that the organisation has an effective ED&I awareness training programme for employees and volunteers.
- Create and drive a communication and engagement plan that enables continuous focus and promotion of ED&I actions and progress with colleagues, the Executive the Board and the game.
- Work with the Board to establish and run the ED&I Advisory Group for the sport to harness specialist advice and support in crystalising and mobilising the strategy, action plan and reporting against KPIs.
- Keep abreast of external developments in ED&I and from time to time undertake ad-hoc external research on ED&I topics to support our plans.
Any other reasonable management requests
The ED&I Manager must demonstrate the England Hockey Brand Personality through their behaviours:
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or equivalent HE qualification (or equivalent experience)
- Deep specialist knowledge and experience of managing equality, diversity, and/or inclusion programmes in complex organisations.
- Extensive experience of managing standards/quality assurance/regulatory auditing requirements. Ideally, you will have an understanding of relevant legislation and sport related regulations such as Sports Governance Code, Equality Standards for Sport and Sporting Equals Charter.
- Able to use your experience and knowledge of strategy development, change management principles and action planning to effectively resolve issues and provide appropriate solutions for ED&I. You will be obsessed with delivering impact, and be passionate about advancing ED&I.
- Confident and articulate in presenting to high profile internal and external stakeholders and will have experience of influencing and negotiation at all levels of an organisation.
- Your experience of policy and process development will help you to lead on the design of education and awareness programmes.
- A pro-active approach with a preference for collaboration when working with others.
Skills and Abilities
- Effective and accurate communication skills, both written and verbal with an appreciation and sensitivity for cultural / regional distinctions and therefore a consideration of how to ensure communications are received well by recipients.
- The ability to build trust and understanding with a range of people with different backgrounds.
- Creative and innovative thinking, an enjoyment of thinking outside of the box to excite and engage our people.
- Exceptional sense of integrity, trust and confidence.
- Day to day, excellent project management, organisation, time management and project budgeting skills will be needed, and you will be capable of managing multiple demands at once.
- The ability to effectively shape and execute culture change programmes that achieve sustainable results through high levels of colleague involvement and engagement; a natural change driver with practical experience in leading complex change projects.
- The ability to positively challenge and gain support in a professional, constructive and non-confrontational manner.
- A resilient judgement will be required to navigate shifting priorities and setbacks; being comfortable with ambiguity and imperfect solutions..
- You will be analytical, using data to identify issues.
- Excellent sense of judgment and risk management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
This job description is not intended to be regarded as inclusive or exhaustive and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation. All employees will be expected to support our major events.
Hours: Full TIme
Responsible to: HR
Back to Job Listings
Please submit your CV (maximum 2 pages) with a one page covering letter by email to: Michele Townsend, HR Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly identifying how your skills and experience are relevant to the requirements outlined in the job description.
Please complete the Equality Monitoring Form: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/EDIMon