Senior Events OfficerEngland Hockey Hybrid - Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre, Buckinghamshire
Salary: Circa £30,000 per annum (pro rata for the length of the contract)
Contract: Fixed Term (9 months) – January through September
Responsible to: Events Manager
England Hockey’s mission is to “share the love of hockey and work together to make hockey more visible, relevant and accessible to all”. The current focus for the organisation is delivery of its 5 objectives within the 2023-2028 strategic plan which can be found on the England Hockey Website pages..
England Hockey is the National Governing Body for the sport of Hockey in England and is responsible for the management and development of the sport from grass roots to elite activities. We:
- Have a membership comprising clubs (750+), counties (42), and Areas (8) that affiliate to it. Approximately 160,000 individuals play in the club system, with an estimated 20,000 playing at university/colleges. C.900,000 children play at school. More than 15,000 coaches, umpires and officials are supported / developed.
- Have an income/expenditure of average £9m p.a. The Chief Executive is directly responsible for the operational budget but the Board, chaired by the Non-Executive Chair, approves the annual plan and budget.
- Employ 78 staff, and contract with approximately 50 part time consultants mostly in the performance and coaching area. Circa 50 volunteers work at national level to run the sport, with thousands more running the great bulk of grass roots hockey.
- Are currently the ‘nominated country’ on behalf of Great Britain Hockey to qualify and prepare the Great Britain squads for the Olympics. The England Hockey Chief Executive, Performance Director and Head Coaches represent Great Britain as well as England Hockey. There is a Great Britain President to chair the Great Britain board which meets three times a year.
NATURE AND SCOPE
England Hockey is on a journey to transform its commercial and business operations following the pandemic to make sure we continue to grow our game with strong foundations and appeal to our existing as well as our future members and audiences.
Audience engagement, strong communications and creative content is a key part of this strategy in engaging with our members and audiences, raising the profile of the game, and increasing commercial interest in the Sport.
The Communications Officer will support the team to deliver our communications strategy and improve the way we communicate with our audiences.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all aspects of the EH Championship finals, transforming where applicable the approach to how these events is planned and delivered to ensure an exceptional event experience for all client groups, shaping their journeys and reviewing, setting and monitoring service levels on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and implement the revised ‘Hockey Makers’ strategy, delivering against key performance indicators and continuing to grow this area of work.
- Event attendance, management, and delivery of EH domestic Championships.
- Attend events where applicable including weekend work and public holidays, including EH Domestic events and FIH Pro League.
- Develop and complete key event documentation, including but not limited to Event Management Plans.
- Collaboratively work with the Event Manager in the planning and delivery of the FIH Pro League and other international fixtures, leading on designated functional areas and utilising the skills of internal and external stakeholders to maximise efficient output.
- Lead on the recruitment of volunteers to produce the events, ensuring that they are of good calibre and work is delivered according to agreed deadlines and in line with values.
- Support the ‘Sport Team’ in other duties as requested by line manager or Head of Sport.
- Ongoing monitoring, evaluating and review of the quality of event delivery - utilising this feedback to improve performance on an ongoing basis.
- Follow established financial processes and support the Events Manager in reporting and reconciling the event income and expenditure.
We are a values-based organisation with a strong ethos to work with integrity and nurture an environment of inclusion. We are looking for enthusiastic, inspirational, and highly skilled individuals who demonstrate through their behaviour the values of England Hockey:
- Collaborate inclusively
- Care for people and places
- Play with spirit, win with grace
- Resilient in everything we do
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level or equivalent industry experience.
- Demonstratable experience of managing sporting events with a commitment to the end-to-end events process (preparation, execution, follow up).
- Experience of working with agencies, a range of stakeholders and volunteers; demonstrating the ability to influence.
- Experience in delivering, playing in or planning hockey.
- Demonstrable experience of operational acumen; executing strategy, delivering a value proposition for all stakeholders and customers.
- Excellent IT knowledge - comfortable with Outlook, MS Teams, PowerPoint, Word, Excel.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High energy, enthusiastic, positive and confident with customer-focus and the ability to manage and motivate an event team.
- Organised and efficient with strong project management and planning skills.
- Ability to work at pace and manage multiple projects simultaneously, achieving goals and objectives.
- Meticulous attention to detail with a logical process-driven approach to delivery, taking pride in quality and accuracy.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with clear and accurate written and spoken communication skills.
- The ability to find diverse solutions to ensure our events are as inclusive as possible.
- A keenness and ability to build and harness relationships with external stakeholders.
- Resilience in overcoming challenges and commitment to deliver in adverse situations.
- A willingness and ability to work unsociable hours.
- Full driving licence with access to a car.
This job description is not intended to be regarded as inclusive or exhaustive and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation. All employees will be expected to support our major events.
Back to Job Listings
Please submit your CV (maximum 2 pages) with a one page covering letter by email to: email@example.com clearly identifying how your skills and experience are relevant to the requirements outlined in the job description and highlighting the unique qualities you will bring to the role.
We would be pleased if you could also complete the Equality Monitoring Form – please use the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/EDIMon