Junior Performance and Outreach CoachBishop's Stortford Hockey Club Hertfordshire/Essex
About the Club and H&E School
Bishop’s Stortford Hockey Club (BSHC) is a large, family friendly but competitive club offering both hockey for all and performance level opportunities. The Club hosts 14 adult Mens and Ladies teams, a large and growing junior section of over 200 juniors, as well as Flyerz, Vets, Mixed and indoor teams. In total the club boasts over 500 members. The club has a brand new facility and clubhouse overlooking the Pitch at our new Home at Beldams Lane (Partnership with Herts & Essex High School) in Bishop’s Stortford, whilst retaining use of our second pitch at Hockerill College.
Herts & Essex High School is a state secondary girls’ school (mixed in year 12 and 13) with over 1,100 students from ages 11 to 18. It is has an excellent academic credentials. However, its hockey has fallen from grace in the last two decades. In 1982 they were the inaugural National U18 Girls’ School Champions. However, the advent of artificial playing surfaces meant that hockey fell out of fashion. With one of the best facilities in the East of England, all the conditions are set for a total renaissance of hockey at the school.
The Role and working environment
The club is seeking a forward-thinking, dynamic and inspirational coach to lead and develop our proposed outreach programme as well as provide in club coaching to our juniors and club players. BSHC is uniquely placed on the border of Herts and Essex and has great aspirations to develop the club as a real centre of excellence for hockey for the local area. The role involves working at Herts & Essex High School, in 12 Local Primary Schools during the school day, as well as after school clubs at 4 other Secondary schools and BSHC club coaching.
Having gone into partnership with Herts & Essex High School to build a pitch, we believe that we have an incredible opportunity to restore the school’s hockey reputation to being one of the best state schools in the country. The role is in effect an opportunity to restore and build a culture of hockey at the school. Essentially it is a Head of Hockey role at the school, working in conjunction with the club.
We are also looking for a coach to run junior sessions and matches on Sundays from 9am-2pm, as well as some evening after school sessions, elite junior sessions and club coaching. For the right candidate there is potentially a raft of coaching available. The successful candidate would be expected to tailor their coaching techniques to the different age groups and abilities, ensuring all players are challenged and provided with continuous opportunities for improvement. They would be very much focussed on growing the game and promoting the club, whilst also working closely with talent development of our best young players. The role would suit candidates from a number of different backgrounds: from those looking to develop their career as a full-time hockey coach, to performance hockey players who wish to develop their coaching craft within an ambitious club and schools environment.
Level 2 or Sessional Hockey Coaching Qualification (or equivalent).
Up to date Child Safeguarding and First Aid Qualifications.
A track record of delivering high standard junior hockey coaching; and an ability to demonstrate keeping up to date with qualifications and personal coaching CPD.
Driving licence and use of car locally
Excellent leadership skills, able to lead a large group, ranging in age from 8 upwards, with help from supporting coaches/assistant coaches
Excellent collaborative skills in dealing with multi-stakeholders including players, parents and teachers.
Excellent communication skills and tactical knowledge
Excellent time-keeping and organisational skills, able to manage and organise a large group of players with varying abilities
Main duties and responsibilities
Herts & Essex School – Autumn Term
- Design and deliver 2 x 90 mins sessions a week at U12s/U14s and U16s age groups
- Travel with and attend matches for each age group
- To devise and create a fixture programme for each age group
- Offer in-house CPD of hockey to other members of the PE department where hockey is not their first sport.
12 Primary Schools- Spring & Summer Terms
- Assist BSHC Director of Junior Hockey to create links with Local Primary Schools
- Offer 1hr hockey sessions at each school in a 6 week programme of sessions, to years 3/4 & 5/6.
Other Secondary Schools – Autumn, Spring & Summer Terms
- Develop, promote and run after school club mixed hockey sessions once a week at each school for year 7&8 children
Bishop’s Stortford Hockey Club
- Be present, programme, assist and lead sessions where appropriate for Sunday junior training from 9am -12noon
- Attend Sunday afternoon games and tournaments as required.
- Collaborate with other coaches to achieve a consistent approach to coaching across the club
- Provide feedback from matches to both the teams and individuals
- Progress and develop individual players
- Provide CPD to other club coaches
- Assist with at least one midweek senior club training session
- Develop a performance programme and midweek sessions for elite juniors alongside Director of Junior Hockey
- Develop and run a summer performance academy.
Back to Job Listings
This role will be a paid position and the fee is dependent upon qualifications and experience and the programme to be delivered but will be somewhere between £20k-£25k.
Please note that the position is for an independent contractor willing to provide their services on a self-employed basis. This would be a rolling contract for the right candidate.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Monday 7 June 2021. We anticipate interviews will be held in the week commencing 14 June 2021. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information and submit a covering letter and CV.