Firstly, thank you for your interest in the nomination process for our England Age Group programmes for 2021/22.
The purpose of the talent system is to support sustained success of elite domestic and national teams, by finding and developing players who demonstrate the qualities to progress to senior elite level. This means developing a system which is accessible to as many players as possible and ensuring selection decisions are based on a combination of current performance level and future potential.
For most players, nomination may be their first experience of England Age Group activity. Whatever the future holds, and whether they are selected for further involvement in the England Age Group programme or not, we are passionate about it being a positive experience for every player. So that we can support this, we would ask you to commit a small amount of focused time on the resources below and familiarise yourself with the nomination process outlined. Before completing a player nomination please:
- Read this guidance document fully. We suggest you note down the answers to all of the player qualities before starting the nomination form
At this stage, we would like to acknowledge that we are evolving a more open method to identify players for England Age Group activity.
- Only players nominated through the official nominations channel will be considered for training days. Coaches are required to complete one form per player. Any nominations not fully completed will not be considered
- Please note players involved in Player Pathway activity in 2020-21 will not be considered for Open Trials – this includes all Performance Centre players and those who were listed for Academy Centre or Development Centre (despite a lack of activity)*
- We are inviting U16 nominations for those born 2006, and U18 nominations for those born 2004 & 2005. We will not consider players born after 2006 for the U16 nomination
- Coaches should hold dialogue internally before nominating a player from their environment, avoiding multiple nominations for the same player from one environment
- Extending on the above point, each nomination will require a proposer and a seconder. We hope this will encourage internal dialogue but also provide an internal check and challenge on the appropriateness of your nominations
- While considering future potential is important when nominating players, there are less than 30 England Age Group places per age group per gender so, players should be demonstrating a high level of competency in their current performance
- The nomination training days and the England Age Group programme will support and challenge players. In nominating a player, you should be confident that, with our support, this player is well placed to thrive in a supportive yet challenging international environment
- It will be at your (the coach’s) discretion if you choose to tell players they have been nominated. Nomination is not a guarantee of a player being taken forward to trials. We therefore advise coaches to share information with caution and to manage expectations
If you wish to query an individual, please contact email@example.com
- Player is a multisport athlete who hasn't been able attend pathway activity due to time pressure but is beyond their peers in current performance
- Player has a relatively low hockey training age in comparison to their peers but is already ahead of their peers in current performance
- Provide an “experience” to players who are not yet ready for this level of stretch
- To provide content for a social media exercise which you feel will enhance the profile of your club or school
- To placate parents who may be placing pressure on you to nominate
We invite you to nominate players by completing the England Age Group Trials Nominations Form. This will take approximately 15 minutes per player. Only fully completed forms will be accepted. You will be required to provide the following information
- Your email address
- Your telephone number
- Name of seconder
- Email address of seconder
- Telephone number of seconder
- Seconder’s current coaching relationship to the nominated player?
- If the seconder is a school coach, please tell us which school or schools they operate at
- If the seconder is a club coach, please tell us which club or clubs they operate at
- If the seconder is a performance centre coach, please tell us which Performance Centre they deliver at
- Do you or the seconder have any family links to the nominated player
- Please provide the full name of the nominated player
- Nominated player’s date of birth
- Email address for the nominated player
- Email address for the nominated player’s parent or guardian
- Telephone number for the parent or guardian
- School of the nominated player?
- Club of the nominated player play? (if applicable)
- Performance Centre during 2019/20 (if applicable)
- The player’s preferred playing line
The form asks coaches to consider a broad profile of player across technical, tactical, mental and physical qualities. Current performance and future potential will both be considered. The detail of these qualities and how to rate them is contained in the nominations form at the appropriate point.
Thank you for your time and consideration. Should you have any queries relating to the nominations process - or if you are unsure if you should be nominating a player or not - please get in touch with your contact within the talent system for some advice. If you are not sure who to contact, please reach out to Dieter Hill, England Hockey's Junior Talent Development Manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Futures Cup non-travelling reserves and those players unable to be considered for Futures Cup due to injury or illness (already known to us) will be invited to attend open trials. England Hockey will communicate directly with these players during week commencing 20 September.