Safeguarding And Welfare Concern Reporting

What should be done if you have a safeguarding or welfare concern?

Coaches taking to young female hockey players

It is never easy to come forward and report concerns regarding safeguarding or welfare. In many cases, it is not easy to tell whether the actions of an individual or an organisation constitutes abuse, even to those who have years of experience. This is especially so for those who work in voluntary positions. However, all adults who are working or volunteering in hockey have a duty of care to remain vigilant and report any suspicions of poor practice or abuse of a child or vulnerable adult in the sport. It is NOT your responsibility to decide whether an abuse has taken place, but it IS your responsibility to report any concerns you do have to the appropriate person or organisation.

If you have concerns about the welfare of a person or the practices of a club or rea in hockey, it is very important that you report it. This should be done to your club or area's Welfare Officer, who should be known to you, or to a member of England Hockey’s Ethics and Welfare Team. Contact details for the team can be found in our Useful Contacts page, which also has links to external organisations that can help you if you need help regarding a safeguarding or welfare concern.

The Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU), as part of their Parents in Sport Week, have created a 3 minute video and a 10 minute free e-learning course for parents on what to do if they have a concern about a child in sport. You can access both of these by clicking here.