Golden Goal Helps Canterbury Secure Cup Win

Canterbury needed a golden goal to reach the third round of the England Hockey Men’s Cup after they were given a rough ride by West Herts in their clash on Sunday.

The home side were 3-2 ahead at half time, but eventually fell to David Mathews’ golden goal after 77 minutes of the thrilling clash.

James Holiday had given West Herts the lead after 11 minutes, but Canterbury hit back with Hugh Stevens and Martin Sutherland scoring on 14 and 17 minutes respectively.

However, their lead lasted just five minutes before West Herts fought back through Jason Mallory, and Holiday’s second goal put them 3-2 ahead at the break.

Mathews scored on 46 and 49 minutes to put Canterbury back in front at 3-4, but Shea O’Sullivan sent the game into extra time with his 59th minute goal.

However, Canterbury’s blushes were spared when Mathews completed his hat-trick on 77 minutes.

Elsewhere, Cannock got the better of hosts Olton and West Warwicks, but only after an entertaining finale to the match.

Nick Bandurak’s third minute strike was the only goal in the first half, but Cannock extended their lead to 0-3 with Matt Plunkett and Will Hearne scoring shortly after the break.

But with three yellow cards being shown to Cannock players, Olton suddenly scored through Dan Solway on 61 and 66 minutes to ensure a nail-biting final few moments.

Bottom of the Premier Division, Bowdon gave themselves some cheer with an emphatic 10-0 win over Belper. Simon Egerton scored a hat-trick, while Ian Wilson and Mark Daniel both scored two.

And Brooklands Manchester University ran out 9-0 winners from their clash at Didsbury Northern, Peter Flanagan scoring a hat-trick while David Flanagan added two.

Doncaster needed two second half penalty strokes from Tim Shelley before beating Timperley 3-2 at Town Fields, the forward having also scored early in the first half from a corner routine.

Cruising at 4-1 with just seven minutes remaining, Beeston leaked two late goals as hosts Rugby and East Warwickshire battled back in style. However, the Premier Division outfit just held their nerve.

Fareham needed a 73rd minute golden goal to secure a 5-4 win over St Albans. Craig Peel scored on 66 minutes to send the game into extra time, and the same man also netted the crucial winner seven minutes later.

Two goals each from Simeon Bird and Kevin Haigh, plus one from Drew Burkin, helped Southgate to a 5-0 win over Chichester Priory Park.

And Brighton and Hove battled back from an early 1-0 deficit to win 5-1 at University of Cambridge.