Great coaches deliver exceptional environments to meet their players' needs. Collectively we want to ensure coaches feel supported, and developed, to help them create these environments.
Employers/deployers play a big role in this. Through making their coaches/volunteers feel valued and rewarded, this will help with keeping coaches/volunteers in our sport, and lead to more, better and happier players.
What does great coaching look like?
Great coaches will be working on these qualities
- What do you do to currently develop your coaches?
- Are you aware of the GB Coaching Offer and do you signpost your coaches to relevant learning and support?
- Do you have an annual coach development plan to support all coaches, linked back to the wider objectives of the club?
- Do you have the function of a coach developer who discusses with the coaches their ongoing coach development needs, that informs the annual coach development plan, and drives a community of coaches within the club?
What development opportunities are available to develop great coaches?
Great Britain Hockey have a number of resources available to support both individual coaches and whole clubs with coach development. There are many ways for how you can support your coaches, below are some examples and resources.
Great Britain Hockey is able to offer coaches a “Menu of Learning". From workshops to courses, to community of practice, there are options available to suit every coach's diet!
Coaches can also access a guiding and interactive digital document that forms part of an annual programme of coach development opportunities. The Offer has been designed to provide support to coaches in identifying the best opportunities for them and their respective pathway, brought to life through videos and animations.
The Hockey Hub is a FREE one-stop shop, packed full of useful hockey resources including video resources, ideas for your coaching sessions and insights from top coaches.
Whether you coach beginners, work with young, talented players or coach at a one team senior club, there is relevant content available to suit your needs.
The Hockey Hub also has sections for teachers and umpires too! All you need to do is create a free login to access the resources.
England Hockey’s Coaches' Membership provides coaches with the essential tools and resources to support coaching delivery and inspire more, better and happier players.
Coaches are hugely important in our great game and this product will ensure our coaches feel valued and empowered. This outstanding all round package includes coaches' insurance in addition to a number of exciting discounts and resources to support and assist coaches in their development.
Great Britain Hockey are able to offer partners (clubs/schools/counties/regions) the opportunity to access a bespoke coach development programme which aims to do the following:
- Help partners develop and retain the workforce they already have
- Help partners build and recruit a new delivery workforce
- Support all deliverers involved in hockey, from lead coaches to parent helpers
- Takes the training and support of coaches to them within their club/school/region
- Access a combination of workshops and observations linked to their individual needs
- All guided by a dedicated GB Coach Developer.