Investec Women's KO Finals - Day 2 Round-Up

Investec Women's Masters Finals - Kingston-upon-Hull Winning Photo

Women's Masters O45s Plate Final

Rags Torpey 28,53,65 (F,F,F) Julio Owen 13 (F)
Jacqui Mont 35 (PC)

Rags Torpey was the hero for Kinston upon Hull as they defeated Canterbury in the inaugural Women’s Masters Over 45s Plate Final.

The opening stages started slowly with the teams sharing the possession. The first chance of the game fell to Kingston upon Hull on 9 minutes with Sue Wardill shooting wide of the left post. Hull continued to pile on the pressure but were twice denied by Annie Hare in the Canterbury goal. Canterbury then started to come into the game and took the lead on 13 minutes through Julio Owen after a goalmouth scramble. Canterbury dominated the next stage without creating too many chances, but it was Hull who were to equalise through a nicely worked goal. Mandy Kearney played the ball into Claire Thomas who laid the ball off where Torpey was on hand to lift the ball into the net on her reverse. As the teams looked to be going into Half Time at 1-1, Canterbury had a stroke of luck when a ball from outside the D bounced back of the post where Jacqui Mount was on hand to convert the ball home.

The second half started the same as the first, with no real chances being created. Kingston upon Hull were edging the game looking for that equaliser but were denied once again by Hare in the Canterbury goal. However, they were soon level through another goalmouth scramble, with Rags Torpey on hand to turn the ball home. Wendy Cameron twice went close for Canterbury but was unable to work the keeper. With the game nearing the end, it was Hull who were to get that all important winner with a very well worked team goal five minutes from time. Mandy Kearney played the ball into Torpey who played a neat one-two with Claire Thomas before slotting the ball in the empty net.

Investec Women's Masters O35s Trophy Final

WOKING (1) 2 - 0 (0) SEVENOAKS
Ali Lubbock 12 (FG)
Paula Nicholas 54 (PS)

Woking scored a goal in each half to win the Investec Women’s Masters O35s Trophy for the first time.

Woking dominated the majority of the first half, despite the first Penalty Corner falling to Sevenoaks which didn’t come to anything. The first chance of the game fell to Abi Lubbock who’s shot from the edge of the area went just wide, which was followed by a Penalty Corner strike from Paula Nicholas which also failed to hit the target. However, Woking didn’t have to wait long to take the lead with Lubbock scoring from the edge of the circle with a fine strike. Sevenoaks enjoyed a spell of pressure from 22 minutes but were unable to take advantage of two Penalty Corners, as Woking went into Half Time with the goal advantage.

Woking started the second half with an unconverted Penalty Corner which followed with Sevenoaks best spell of the game as they searched for an equaliser. Jacquie Ward miss hit a shot before Lisa Boldrini played a nice through ball to Sarah Pinkstone who was unable to convert after rounding the keeper due to excellent defending. However, on 54 minutes, Woking hit Sevenoaks with a sucker punch when they were awarded a Penalty Stroke, with the defending preventing a goal with her body. Captain Paula Nicolas calmly converted to double the advantage. Sevenoaks pushed to get back into the game but were unable to get past the solid Woking defence, with Jo Parkinson-Clarke preventing a certain goal with a clearance on the line from a Penalty Corner. Woking professionally ran down the clock in the final minutes to ensure a 2-0 victory.

Investec Women's Masters O35s Cup Final

Nikki Triggs 36 (F)
Moria Clewes 37,6 (F,F)
Kelly Litchfield 40 (F)
Jackie Laird 55 (F)
Sue Splight 56 (F)
Wendy Cameron 64 (F)

Canterbury put in a magnificent second half performance to take the Investec Women’s Masters O35s Cup for the third year running.

Canterbury largely dominated the first half but had to wait until the 15th minute for the first Penalty Corner. This led to their second corner where they thought they had taken the lead, but the goal was disallowed. Cambridge City started to show more going forward and won their first Penalty Corner on 18 minutes when the keeper cleared the ball high onto the advancing attacker, but the corner came to nothing. Canterbury continued to push forward but were unable to create any clear cut chances as the Cambridge City defence stood firm.

Canterbury started the second half as they meant to go on, with two goals in the first two minutes through Nikki Triggs and Moria Clewes. Kelly Litchfield scored a third just three minutes later to really stamp Canterbury’s authority on the game. Cambridge City kept battling but were unable to get out of their half as a ruthless Canterbury team continued to press hard. A further two goals in two minutes followed on 55 & 56 minutes with Jackie Laird and Sue Splight getting in on the action. The attacks kept coming from Canterbury and the score could have been more if it wasn’t for Pippa Hall in the Cambridge City goal. They were to add two more however, with goals from Wendy Cameron and a second from Clewes after a clever through ball from Mel Clewlow, as Canterbury retained the Cup for the third successive year.

Women's Masters O45s Cup Final

Mandy Davies 7 (F) Jacky Smeeth 1,38 (F,PC)
Sylvia Thomas 8 (F) Caroline Bryant 69 (F)
Jane Sixsmith 9,27,53,60 (F,F,PC,F)
Steph Lively 42 (PC)

Despite an exceotional early lead from Woking in their second final of the day, Sutton Coldfield came flying back to take the Women's Masters O45s Cup Final.

Sutton Coldfield had a loud following at the Highfields Hockey Centre, which proved to be more than enough to spur them on to victory. The first half started with a lightning-quick first goal from Jacky Smeeth for Woking, but it wasn't long before Sutton levelled via Mandy Davis, and a minute later they pulled ahead thanks to Sylvia Thomas. Woking could still have brought the game back in their favour, but then Sutton's star of the day Jane Sixsmith started to make her impression on the score with a brace 18 minutes apart. A spirited last few minutes saw several attempts by either side at breaking through defences, but it proved a deadlock to the break with the score at 4-1.

Once again it was Jacky Smeeth for Woking who opened the scoring in the second half, waiting a whole three minutes before sending Woking's penalty corner home. However, penalty corners proved to be Woking's undoing as they conceded one each from Steph Lively and Jane Sixmith. She wasn't quite done though, with one more field goal on 60 minutes to all but guarantee their win. One final goal from Caroline Bryant saw that Woking's defeat wasn't five goal wide, but it wasn't enough to save the match in its dying few minutes. With a 7-3 victory it was Sutton Coldfield who walked away with the cup, with this the inaugural year of the competition being run this age group.