England's U21 Men in Germany

England's Rob Farrington U21 Men

England U21s are at a training camp in Moers, Germany, playing a series of matches against the German home side in preparation for their upcoming European Championships in Belgium, taking place from 20-26 July 2014.

Match 1

England 3 (2)
Sam French 20 (FG)
Robert Farrington 34 (FG)
Ben Boon 68 (PC)

Germany 2 (1)
Niklas Proske 11 (FG)
Jan Nitschke 52 (PS)

Wednesday proved an excellent start to the training camp with a victory over the home team. England started strongly but following a penalty stroke appeal, when the German goalkeeper appeared to foul Brendan Creed in the 11th minute, the Germans counter attacked down the right flank and scored a tap in at the far post by Niklas Proske. It took some time for England to regain their balance, but in the 25th minute Sam French got on the end of a slick move down the right involving James Gall and Arjan Drayton Chana and slapped the ball past the German keeper from five metres out. Just before half-time Rob Farrington drove into the German circle and hit a hard cross shot passed the onrushing keeper, bringing the score to 2-1 to England going into the break.

In the second half Germany equalised from the penalty spot after the umpire adjudged that there was a stick tackle preventing a goal. However, England took the game to the Germans and converted a slick corner with a reverse stick deflection by Ben Boon with just 2 minutes left on the clock, putting the final score 3-2 to England.

England U21 Men's Head Coach Jon Bleby said after the game: "I'm very happy with the win, and it's pleasing that we were more productive in the opposition circle. We demonstrated that we can defend our circle when we have to, but there's still some work to do."

Match 2

England 4 (2)
David Goodfield 20 42 (PC, FG)
Ed Horler 25 (FG)
Luke Taylor 45 (PC)

Germany 3 (1)
Constantin Saib 26 (FG)
Max VanLaak 37 (PC)
Anton Poehling 67 (FG)

Friday showed another encouraging display for England's U21 Men. England dominated the first 20 minuted of the game, forcing five short corners and creating other opportunities before converting the fifth corner to take the lead. Shortly after Ed Horler got on the end of a long cross from the right wing to score the second and England were 2-0 up and in control. However, the Germans pulled back a corner before halftime following a lifted ball in the circle and then scored an early goal in the second half after Sam French had been given a yellow card for a bad tackle, levelling the scores at 2-2.

England continued to create chances and David Goodfield got the end of another accurate long ball and managed to beat the defender and the on-rushing goalkeeper to squeeze the ball in from a difficult angle. Luke Taylor added an excellent penalty corner to make it 4 -2. Nerves and fitness were tested at the end when James Simpson was shown yellow with 4 minutes to go and the Germans pulled a goal back, but the 10 men left on the field held on to win the game.

England U21 Men's Head Coach Jon Bleby: "It was an excellent performance all round - we attacked at pace, defended very well and dominated large parts of the game. However, we have to be consistent and set our goals high to repeat this tomorrow and raise our game yet again."