Schmidt Brace Helps Beeston go Second

BEESTON climbed up to second spot in the England Hockey Men’s Premier Division after beating bottom of the table Bowdon 4-1 on Saturday.

Patrick Schmidt (pictured) scored twice in the first half and Carl Smith added another which helped Beeston to a 3-1 lead at half time, and David Ames added another five minutes after play resumed.

Patrick Schmidt, Beeston

Fourth-placed Surbiton closed the gap to third-placed Cannock with a 3-1 away win on Saturday. Chris Borrett, Tim Pinnock and Phil Messent scored their goals, while Ben Edge scored Cannock’s consolation 11 minutes from the end.

There was a 3-3 draw between home side Hampstead and Westminster and Southgate.

Hampstead led 2-0 at half time with late goals from Sam Dixon and Tom Edwards on 32 and 35 minutes.

Southgate hit back through Johannes Kloess and Matthew Wells to level the match again, but it took Hampstead just two minutes to re-take the lead through David Cooper. However, Southgate hit back with Simeon Bird scoring on 61 minutes.

Loughborough Students and Reading drew 1-1, Henry Weir and Nick Catlin scoring their goals.

And in the day's late match which started at 5pm, East Grinstead beat hosts university of Exeter 2-0 after two goals from Rick Gay.

In the Conference North, Brooklands Manchester university went top of the table after beating second-placed Sheffield Hallam 5-4 in a thriller.

They led 3-2 at half time with two goals in the fourth minute from Kieran Mulholland, while Mark Richardson added their other first-half goal.

After the break, David Seddon scored a penalty stroke on 44 minutes, and David Flanagan added another one minute afterwards to go 5-2 ahead.

Sheffield Hallam hit back with goals on 55 and 61 minutes, but it was not enough to salvage anything.

Leek secured a good 3-2 away win at University of Durham to maintain their push for the North title. Ben White scored two and Paul Nixon added the other, while for Durham, Sam Driver and Daniel Coultas scored.

Doncaster also secured a 3-2 away victory, beating hosts Barford Tigers despite being 2-1 down at half time.

Lachlan Brownhalls had scored their early goal, and defeat looked on the cards until the last three minutes with Joe Morrison scoring an equaliser and Marcus Hooper securing the winner in the last minute.

In the West Conference, Fareham won 4-3 over Cardiff & UWIC after a thrilling finish.

There were five goals and two yellow cards in the last nine minutes of the match, which Cardiff had led 1-0 at half time.

Two goals from Ali Falconer helped Guildford win 4-1 over Lichfield, Jonny Haines and Chris Boot scoring their other goals.

And Whitchurch and Havant drew 1-1 with Adam Barker and Andy Pett scoring second half goals for each side.

In the East Conference, Old Loughtonians won 4-2 at Bromley and Beckenham while Canterbury were 3-1 winners at Teddington.