Leaders East Grinstead Battle Back from Half Time Deficit

TRAILING at half time, East Grinstead battled back to win 3-2 at Loughborough and maintain their lead at the top of the England Hockey Premier Division.

Rick Gay struck three times in the second half to help the leaders battle back, with Loughborough Students having taken the lead through Sam Ward after 16 minutes.

After Gay had levelled in the 40th minute Chris Griffiths restored Loughborough’s lead the very next minute, but they could not come back after Gay’s goals on 50 and 69 minutes.

Dan Shingles, 500

Southgate’s Dan Shingles (pictured) gave his side an early lead against high-flying Cannock in their clash on Sunday, scoring from open play after just eight minutes.

However, the second-placed side hit back through Ross Hayward and Dave Harris, both from penalty corners on 16 and 68 minutes.

Sam Dixon scored twice as Hampstead and Westminster won 2-1 at home against Surbiton.

He netted on 32 minutes from a penalty corner, but the visitors made the score 1-1 at the break the very next minute with Furgus Dunn scoring from open play.

Dixon added another on 38 minutes, and they held that lead right through the second period.

Trailing 1-0 at half time, Reading ran out 3-1 winners over hosts Beeston.

Matt Taylor had given Beeston the lead on 15 minutes, but goals on 42 minutes (Andy Watts), 48 minutes (John Codling) and 62 minutes (Nick Catlin) ensured the visitors took the points.

Bottom of the table Bowdon wrapped up their 2011 fixtures in emphatic style, beating fellow strugglers University of Exeter 4-3 to record only their third league win of the season and move off the bottom of the Premier Division.

Simon Egerton gave Bowdon an emphatic start to the clash with goals from penalty corners on 7 and 10 minutes, and that scoreline held firm until the last few seconds of the first period when Tom Carson pulled one back for the Devon side from open play.

Bowdon restored their two-goal lead quickly after play had resumed, Phil Dutoy scoring from open play on 37 minutes, and he added his second on 46 minutes, again from open play, to put the hosts 4-1 ahead.

However, Exeter refused to be beaten, and Joe Sterlini grabbed his chance with both hands when they were awarded a 49th minute penalty stroke.

James Royce narrowed the deficit to just one goal on 54 minutes, but Bowdon’s defence tightened up and held their rivals out.