Investec Finals Weekend - Day Two

Investec Women’s Promotion Tournament Match 3

Slough 3 (2)

Lauren Penny 15, 24, 43 (PC, F, F)

Buckingham 1 (0)

Samantha Sandham 61 (F)

Slough faced Buckingham in the penultimate match of the Investec Women’s Promotion Tournament.

Slough took the early lead after 15minutes when Lauren Penny fired home past Mandy Ferebee from a penalty corner.  Both teams enjoyed some good build up play, but Slough looked the most threatening. With 10 minutes to go Lauren Penny scored her second of the game, this time from open play, finishing well in front of the goal.  Slough played like a rejuvenated side and with Great Britain and England internationals Ashleigh Ball and Nicola White back playing the side looked formidable both on the attack and in defence.

It took Slough just eight minutes to extend their lead, Ashleigh Ball with some great build up work in the circle creating space to take a shot which Lauren Penny reacted quickly to, redirecting the ball into the goal for her hat-trick.

In the final 10 minutes Buckingham managed to pull a goal back through Samantha Sandham and pushed strongly to try and close the gap, however the score remained 3-1.  The result means that Slough have retained their Premier Division status for next season and it would be all to play for in the final game of the Investec Women’s Promotional Tournament.


Investec Women’s Promotion Tournament Match 4

Beeston  2 (0)

Hannah Wraith 40, 49 (F,F)

Surbiton 5 (2)

Chloe Strong 10,22 (PC,PC)

Vicky Bryant 36,57 (F,F)

Abi Robinson 49 (F)

The final game of the Investec Women’s Promotion Tournament was between Surbiton and Beeston who came into the game with one point each, both knowing they could gain promotion into the Premier Division.

Surbiton had Chloe Strong and two penalty corners to thank for their half time lead as she stepped up to fire home two goals past Beeston’s Lucy Dawkins in goal.

The second half was action packed with five goals coming over the 35 minutes.  Surbiton came straight out of the blocks with Vicki Bryant back on the scoreboard again within the first minute roofing the ball into the net.  With 30 minutes to go Beeston began to build up pressure and enjoyed a good period of possession which was rewarded through Hannah Wraith who scored to make it 3-1.  This started a goal rush and as soon as Beeston had scored Surbiton attacked down the other end.  Sandra Frankland deflected the ball towards goal, which Dawkins initially saved, but the ball landed in front of Abi Robinson who picked up the rebound and slotted it home to make it 4-1.

It was end to end play and Hannah Wraith scored her second to bring the score to 4-2 and offer Beeston a glimmer of hope.  The hope was short lived however as it took Surbiton just two minutes to restore their three goal cushion with another for Vicky Bryant who lifted the ball over a diving Dawkins.  Celebrations followed as the game finished 5-2 to Surbiton securing their place to play Premier Division hockey next season.

Final Standings in the Investec Women's Promotion Tournament

Position Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Slough 3 2 1 0 7 4 3 7
2 Surbiton 3 1 1 0 9 7 2 4
3 Buckingham 3 1 1 1 4 5 -1 4
4 Beeston 3 0 1 2 3 7 -4 1

Investec Women’s Hockey League Championship Final

Reading 1 (0)

Lucy Brown 59 (PC)

Leicester 1 (0)

Amanda Poteiger 63 (F)

With 13 Great Britain internationals lining up in the two sides the Investec Women’s Championship Final between Reading and Leicester promised to be a scintillating game.  Reading started brightly in the first quarter but failed to convert the chances they created; their penalty corner routines seemingly not going to plan.

Playing under European Hockey League rules the sides took their time out and Leicester came back from the break with some strong build up play.  In the run up to half time the sides showed their quality with each team thwarting the others attempts.

After the half time break Reading came out hard and applied pressure to the Leicester back line resulting in an almost immediate corner, which they failed to convert.

In the final quarter a Danson backhand shot was saved and Katie Long recovered the ball for Leicester, taking it the length of the field which eventually resulted in a Leicester Penalty Corner.  The slick routine saw Lucy Brown deflect the ball over Storry into the goal to give Leicester the lead.

With seven minutes to go, Alex Danson crossed the ball across the face of the goal and Amanda Poteiger calmly slotted the ball home to take it to 1-1.  The scores stayed tied at full time and the silver goal rule came into play.  There was nothing to split between the teams in the first five minute period.  In the second period Reading had the best of the chances but once again failed to convert their two penalty corners.

With nothing to separate the sides it was down to a penalty shoot out.  In a penalty shoot out three players are selected from each team, the ball is placed on the 23 meter line and a player has eight seconds to try and score past the opponent goalkeeper.

Leicester selected (in order) Chloe Rogers, Anne Panter and Crista Cullen with Maddie Hinch in goal while Reading favoured Laura Bartlett, Helen Richardson and Alex Danson with Beth Storry in goal.

With the sides tied after the first round of penalties it was down to sudden death.  Maddie Hinch made the crucial save from Laura Bartlett and it was left to Chloe Rogers to win the Championship for Leicester as she calmly lifted the ball over Beth Storry.   Celebrations broke out as Leicester were crowned Investec Women’s Hockey League Champions.

Penalty Shoot Out

Chloe Rogers: goal.

Laura Bartlett: goal.

Anne Panter: timed out.

Helen Richardson: goal.

Crista Cullen: goal.

Alex Danson missed.

Sudden death

Laura Bartlett: saved.

Chloe Rogers: goal.

Men’s England Hockey League Championship Final

East Grinstead 4 (1)

Mark Pearn 29 (F)

David De Prez 38,41 (F,F)

Darren Cheeseman 62 (F)

Reading 5 (1)

Nick Catlin 9 (F)

Chris Newman 49 (F)

Richard Springham 61 (PC)

East Grinstead 64 (OG)

Andrew Watts 70 (PC)

In the final match of the day East Grinstead took on Reading to battle it out in the Men’s EHL Championship Final. Both teams were at full strength with 13 Great Britain internationals named across the two sides.

East Grinstead started strongly, but the first goal came from Reading.  Nick Catlin with a surging run down the pitch found Jonty Clarke on the edge of the circle. The ball ran loose and Nick Catlin found himself with space and time to fire the goal past an advancing Richard Potton.

Playing under European Hockey League rules the sides took their time out and it was Reading who came out stronger putting pressure on the East Grinstead defence.  East Grinstead gained momentum during the second quarter and when a loose ball fell to Mark Pearn in the circle he wasted no time connecting with it to score the equaliser.

Reading came out fired up, with two chances in the first two minutes of the third quarter, but it was David De Prez for East Grinstead who scored first on 38 minutes after a scuffle in front of goal.  The third East Grinstead goal and De Prez’s second of the game came just three minutes later when he tipped the ball in from an accurate cross from Ashley Jackson.  East Grinstead continued to push, forcing two fantastic saves from Nick Brothers in Reading’s goal.

Reading attacked and pulled a goal back on the 49thminute, Andrew Watts patiently awaiting the arrival of Chris Newman who dived to guide the ball home from close range.

With nine minutes to go Reading converted a penalty corner, Richard Springham with the initial injection receiving the ball back and lifting it into the top of the net.  The equaliser was short lived, however, as Darren Cheeseman took less than a minute to give East Grinstead their one goal advantage back.

The goal rush was on with another coming just moments later, a mix up in front of the East Grinstead goal which resulted in a deflected own goal levelling the scores to make it 4-4.  In a nail biting finish and with less than a minute to go Reading were awarded a penalty corner.  Andrew Watts was the man on target for Reading firing the ball into the back of the net to clinch the victory for Reading and see them crowned EHL Champions.