England Hockey Synopsis

Members Present: Philip Kimberley, Sally Munday, Ian Wilson, Jonathan Cockcroft, Holly Woodford, Katie Dodd, Andy Tapley, Danny Kerry, Mike Stoddard, Ben Rea, Sue Bodycomb and Katy Roberts.

In attendance: Simon Mason, Richard Leman

Apologies: Jilly Holroyd

Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest.

Minutes of November Board Meeting

a) Accuracy
The Minutes were approved as a true and accurate recording.
 
b) Matters arising and Action Items
• New Equality Policy being reviewed following feedback from Katy Roberts.
• Risk Register and Policy to be represented at the March Board meeting.
• Mike Stoddard to take on the role of Chair of the Capital Investment Panel.

1. Executive Directors’ Report
As read with the following points to note:

In respect of Maxifuel Super Sixes, Jonathan Cockcroft highlighted revenue figures of £133k, which is just over £5k above target.  Costs were as budgeted and a profit made – the first time hockey has made a profit at an event in the last ten years.  Ticket numbers reached the 5k figure and there were huge improvements in presentation and the TV product.  It was acknowledged that the calendar next year is considerably more challenging.

Richard Glynne-Jones (National Manager, Officiating and Volunteers) has held a number of officiating consultations and road-shows around the country in order to get a full perspective of the officiating landscape.  Feedback so far has been very positive and it is proposed to present the strategic plan at the next Board meeting.

Funding – following the outcome of our UK Sport funding submission, we are now in a good position with the option to apply for an uplift in respect of the men if their performances demonstrate the likelihood of a medal in Rio. 

One award condition from Sport England is the increase in participation numbers in respect of disability hockey, although the target is not required until 2014.  It was suggested that there might be overlaps with other sports and that consideration should be given to initiatives already within the hockey family within Europe.  Simon Mason confirmed that the EHF is looking at hosting disability events at each of their major events

The job description and advert for the Development Director will go out in the next couple of days with a final interview date of 7th March. 

Negotiations are still underway in respect of sponsorships for the men’s national team and other products.
 
With regard to the Operational KPIs, Katie Dodd asked whether or not a new individual membership scheme was being considered.  Jonathan Cockcroft confirmed that the extensive customer research carried out in respect of the CRM Strategy (5,000 respondents) indicates coaches and umpires are desperate for a membership scheme, which is likely to include insurance, official kit, etc. However the research does not support the need for an individual player membership scheme.  It is felt that the main reason for this is that we don’t have tickets for major events e.g. Twickenham, Lords or Wimbledon as an incentive; the pull isn’t as strong and the argument not as persuasive.  There was further discussion with regard to how we engage people across the hockey family without the need for specific membership.  It was agreed that something should be in place for volunteers and it is hoped that this will be informed by the volunteer strategy.

Andy Tapley raised concern about the loan that was required by the Masters’ teams and the fact that fundraising letters were written to all clubs against the express wishes of EHB.  Ian Wilson confirmed that discussions were underway with regard to the future of Masters as part of the wider committee review. 

2. Increased Visibility

a. 2016 – 2019 Events Strategy
As Read.

Sally Munday presented an update to our major events strategy following the recent briefing at the FIH Congress and confirmed that formal bids for the 2016-19 period must be submitted by August 2013.

There was a lengthy discussion and consideration was given to single gender events versus joint, visibility versus performance and commercial benefits. Further discussions were around financial considerations, resource and facilities, especially in comparison to other countries possibly bidding, although it was agreed that the legacy facility in London would play a key part in keeping costs down in the future.  With regard to TV rights and the BBC becoming a key partner, it was acknowledged that the single biggest cost will be cost of TV production; however, this is a cost the FIH will bear in future for world level events.  It was confirmed that the FIH response  is only an expression of interest at this stage. 


b. 2013 England Hockey Awards
As read.
In summary, the changes will give the performance department and players more control over the destiny of performance awards, the broadening of some categories will reach a wider range of potential nominees and a couple of new categories will further recognise the work of volunteers.

The Board approved the paper.
 
3. International Success 

a. GB playing at World Level
The Board were joined by Neil Tunnicliffe of Wharton Consulting and Bryn Williams, Independent Director on the GB Board.  Neil is working directly with Sally Munday as GB COO and Richard Leman as GB President on the consultation process for GB playing more at world level.

Detailed discussion followed on implications of GB playing more at world level.  It was agreed that further discussion would take place at the March Board meeting and that Philip Kimberley’s paper on England’s position would be discussed in more detail.
 
4. Strong and respected NGB

a. Audit Committee Report
Andy Tapley highlighted two points raised in the Audit report, namely the level of reserves and the reserves policy and the treatment of accruals directly relating to bids for major events.

Changes have been made to the way that accruals for events are now shown in respect of a contractual commitment.  The total contractual commitment is recorded at the time the contract is signed. This will ensure that provision is appropriate, costs are accrued for and current exposure is demonstrated in the current accounts.

There was a discussion around the increase in volume and number of transactions passing through the regional and county associations.  It was agreed that Ian Wilson and Holly Woodford obtain further understanding of the scale of the concern with a view to providing guidance in order to minimise any impact to reputation and brand. 

b. 2011/2012 Statutory Accounts
As read.

Ian Wilson highlighted the responsibility of the Directors and reiterated that the accounts should be read in conjunction with the Audit Committee Report. There was one minor change in the figures from the management accounts previously presented to the Board.

The Board approved the Statutory Accounts

c. Audit Committee Revised Terms of Reference
As Read.
Andy Tapley highlighted that the reason for amendment to Terms of Reference is to encompass the risk elements of the business.  In summary the responsibility of the Audit Committee would extend to reviewing the risk register and the processes used to manage risk as all Board members were responsible for how we manage that risk and our finances. 

There was a suggestion that the title be changed to Audit and Governance.

Katy Roberts expressed her concern about the broadness of the scope of duties and questioned whether or not once a year is sufficient time to meet to consider all requirements.  The Board was assured that this requirement was a minimum and that electronic communication would play a key part in discussions.

Para 7 – The decision to elect a chair of the Audit committee will still lie with the RCC and must be appointed from non-executive directors as per IOD governance recommendations (notwithstanding the need for the person to have relevant qualifications).

It was agreed that Sue Bodycomb take the amended Terms of Reference to the next RCC meeting for consideration.

The Board approved the Terms of Reference
 
d. Revised Articles
The Constitution and Regulations Committee have amended the Articles to reflect the changes required by Sport England and UK Sport. 

It had been suggested that the term for Independent Directors should be reduced to 2 x 3yr terms to maintain independence, however it was felt that their term should not be any different to the membership elected non-executive directors. They were both there to hold the Executives to account and had the same statutory responsibilities.

With regard to Schools and Youth Associations, it was agreed to remove voting rights from Schools and Youth Associations in their entirety to County Associations as most were now part of their County Association.  It was suggested that this will strengthen the role of the County Association in terms of positive measures taken with schools in line with the principles set out when England Hockey was established. 

With the exception of a few minor amendments in respect of consistency throughout the document, the Board supported the amended Articles that will go to the AGM for membership approval.

e. Affiliation
As read.
The overall trend is that the number of clubs continues to fall but that a small increase in the number of teams (and players) is evident.  In view of the offer of free teams for the first year, the fall away of existing teams is having a negative effect on affiliation revenue.- paying teams being replaced by free teams.  Ian Wilson suggested that in order to address this fall in revenue we remove the free teams initiative or increase affiliation fee. 

Following lengthy discussion it was agreed that a small increase each year would be more acceptable than no increase for 4 years and then a substantial increase in year 5.

The Board agreed to continue with the free teams’ initiative for the next 4 years and propose an increase to the affiliation fee by 1.5% at this year’s AGM.

f. Management Accounts
As read.

g. RCC Report
The Board discussed the paper presented in terms of single gender.  It was acknowledged that this is not just an issue in the North, that some clubs are sitting outside our policy and that this has had some effect on the Single System.  The Board agreed that the RCC should consider what sanctions would apply and the impact of risk of any such sanctions. 

5. AOB

• Honours – Katy Roberts asked if there was anything we could do as an NGB to enhance the quality of our nominations.  Sally Munday assured the Board that nominations were made as appropriate and relevant.