Men's Masters Finals Review

Men's Masters Finals Trophy

Men’s Masters Over 40’s Trophy Final

Own Goal 22 (F) Gary Merrick 17,57 (F,F)
Noel Britto 66 (F) Damien Hallett 20 (F)
Mike Leslie 64 (PC)

Purley Walcountians were victorious in the inaugural Men’s Masters Over 40’s Trophy thanks to a 4-2 victory over Banbury. Purley dominated the early stages but failed to convert their chances until Gary Merrick opened the scoring on 17 minutes, with the lead being doubled just three minutes later through Damien Hallett. At this stage it looked like it would be a comfortable victory for the Surry based team but Banbury gave themselves a lifeline on 22 minutes when a hit into the D was deflected high into the net for an own goal and with no further goals in the half, the score remained 2-1. There was little to choose between the teams early in the second half but any hopes of a Banbury comeback were dashed with 13 minutes remaining when Merrick scored his second of the game. Mike Leslie scored from a Penalty Corner to increase Purley’s lead on 64 minutes before Banbury scored a late consolation goal when Noel Britto was in the right place at the right time to strike the ball into an empty net.

Men’s Masters Over 40’s Shield Final

Mike Leary 60,67 (PS,F) Chris Hooper 4,40,58 (F,F,F)
Ian Powell 69 (F) Mark Williams 28,63 (F,F)
Andy Allen 46 (PC)
Ian Mathews 55 (PC)

Chris Hooper was on fine scoring form for Lansdown as they eased their way to victory in the Men’s Masters Over 40’s Shield. Goals from Hooper and Mark Williams put Lansdown two up at the break and when Hooper scored his second on 40 minutes, there was a lengthy delay when the Stratford keeper Dave Dunnett sustained a rib injury. Lansdown added a further three goals after this point to make it 6-0 before Stratford started a fight back, scoring three goals in the final ten minutes with Mike Leary grabbing two of the goals. With Mark Williams scoring his second of the game for Lansdown, also in the last ten minutes, the final score ended 7-3 three in an entertaining and friendly game between the sides.

Men’s Masters Over 50’s Plate Final

Bill Stokes 64 (F) Adrian Milner 30 (PC)
Mike Yeoman 49 (F)

City of Peterborough edged out Southampton to claim their first national title at this age group. In an extremely close game between the sides, it was City of Peterborough who got the breakthrough five minutes before half time with Adrian Milner scoring from a Penalty Corner. The second half was much of the same with the game hanging in the balance but it was Peterborough who struck again to make it 2-0 through Mike Yeoman. Southampton gave themselves hope six minutes from time when Bill Stokes pulled one back but they were unable to find the equaliser as City of Peterborough held on for the win.

Men’s Masters Over 50’s Cup Final

Sean Kerly 1 (F)
Jim Laslett 50,70 (PC,PC)

Canterbury won the Men’s Over 50’s Cup for the second time in four seasons with a 3-0 victory over Barford Tigers. Canterbury got off to the perfect start when Sean Kerly scored within a minute. It was Canterbury who dominated the earlier stages of the game and should have been further ahead but were unable to convert their chances, and also found John Chong in fine form in the Tigers goal. Barford Tigers gradually came back into the game winning many penalty corners but were unable to find a way past the strong Canterbury defence. Into the second half, Canterbury still had the better of the play and it was their captain Jim Laslett who doubled their lead when he converted from a penalty corner. The score remained the same for the rest of the match until Laslett was able to score his second and Canterbury’s third with a deflected penalty corner after the final whistle.

Men's Masters Finals

Men’s Masters Over 40’s Plate Final

Steve Woolvern 11 (F) Keith Smith 49,54 (PC,F)
Peter Bowerman 40,57 (F,PC)

Harrogate survived a Bournemouth comeback to win the Men’s Over 40’s Plate in their first season of entering. It was the Yorkshire side who took the lead on 11 minutes through Steve Woolvern, with the score staying 1-0 until half time. Peter Bowerman doubled their lead five minutes into the second half but the game took a change in direction when Bournemouth began their comeback, thanks to two goals in five minutes from Keith Smith. However, Harrogate were soon back in from through Bowerman’s second of the game 13 minutes from time which turned out to be the winning goal.

Men’s Masters Over 40’s Cup Final

Matt Bearsby 11 (F) James Roberts 2,53 (F,F)
Philip King 20,44 (F,F) Chris Roberts 23 (PC)
Peter Wheeler 34,42 (F,F) Kali Takher 55 (F)
Simon Sharp 48 (F)
Ian King 62 (F)

Arguably the best game of the day was saved until last when Robinsons but the disappointment of losing last season’s final behind them to claim a thrilling 7-4 victory against hosts Cannock. Cannock took the lead early on through James Roberts but this was soon cancelled out by Matt Bearsby. The sides scored another goal each on 20 and 23 minutes but it was Robinsons who went into the break with the advantage with Peter Wheeler scoring just before half time. Despite a terrible start, Robinsons had dominated enough of the first half to deserve a narrow 3-2 lead. Cannock came out strong in the second half with former GB & England International Kali Takher having more influence on the game but Robinsons were able to soak up the pressure thrown at them and were excellent on the break which lead to three goals in just six minutes to put the Bristol side 6-2 up. The sixth Robinsons goal was probably the best of the day with Philip King showing excellent skill and initiative to chip the ball over the Cannock keeper who had came rushing out to narrow the angle.

However, the game was far from over at this point and Cannock responded through James Roberts and when two minutes later Takher drove through and fired home a rasping shot, Robinsons looked shaken. With both teams a man down at this point, the game was poised with just 15 minutes remaining. Valiant defending from Robinsons kept Cannock at bay and with seven minutes remaining Robinsons captain Ian King finished from a tight angle to restore a three goal lead which essentially ended the Cannock revival.