Surbiton Win Men's Cup

Surbiton were crowned winners of the Men's Cup for the first time in their history with a 3-1 victory over Hampstead & Westminster. Lewes defeated Guernsey on Golden Goal in the Men's Trophy with Winchester getting the better of Ashbourne in the Men's Vase.

Men's Cup Final

David Edmonds 3 (F) James Royce 16 (PC)
James Hamlyn 22 (F)
Rob Schilling 65 (F)

It was Hampstead & Westminster who broke first after a fine counter attack which saw a smart free hit played quickly to the right where the ball was crossed for David Edmunds to delicately lift the ball over the advancing Surbiton keeper. Neither team were able to get a grip on the game in the earlier stages, although Surbiton did come close to levelling with a Rob Schilling shot that went narrowly over the bar.

However, Surbiton were soon on level terms from their first Penalty Corner of the game which saw James Royce send an unstoppable shot into the right of the goal. By this stage, Surbiton were in control of the game and it wasn’t long until they were in front when James Hamlyn was found in plenty of space to hit a powerful shot under the keeper after good work from Johnny Ruiz. It was nearly three just a minute later when James Tindall hit the outside of the post and with Surbiton unable to convert other chances, the score remained 2-1 at the break.

This was a welcome break for Hampstead who looked a different team in the second half and could have levelled if it wasn’t for a fantastic double save from Surbiton keeper David Kettle from a penalty corner. There was little to choose between the two sides in the second half but Hampstead’s hopes of finding an equaliser were dashed five minutes from time when a free hit from Ben Tibble found Rob Schilling in space in the D who finished on the reverse. Hampstead had the opportunity to get back into the game and went close but were unable to find the net and Surbiton saw the game through to the end to become champions. 

Men's Trophy Final

GUERNSEY (1) 2 - 3 (1) LEWES
Matt Watson 32 (F) Ole Callf 29 (F)
Drew Clark 59 (PC) Alex Warner 65 (PC)
Chris Marchant 75 (F)

Lewes broke Guernsey hearts to win the Men’s Trophy in dramatic style on Golden Goal. Lewes had the first chance of the game on two minutes when a shot across goal was unable to find a touch. Guernsey broke from this and had the first Penalty Corner which was well saved by the keeper following a goal mouth scramble. Guernsey then continued to take control of the match but were unable to find a way past an in form Rory Jervis in the Lewes goal, with Whalley, Watson and Kitching going close for Guernsey. They were then made to pay for the misses as Lewes struck first through a superb reverse shot high into the net from Ole Callf. They couldn’t hold onto the lead for long though and Guernsey were soon on level terms when Matt Watson bundled the ball home after good play from Rick Dijxhoorn.

The second half saw much of the same with Guernsey unable to take advantage of their dominance and they saw a Penalty Corner cleared off the line on 41 minutes. Lewes started to get a grip on the game and they could have taken the lead on 45 minutes when a defensive error gifted a chance to Lewes which brought a good save out of Nick Robilliard. However, it was Guernsey that went ahead on 59 minutes when Drew Clark converted from a Penalty Corner. There were chances to increase this lead but Lewes got back into the game five minutes from time through Alex Warner. With no more goals, the game went into extra time.

By this stage Lewes looked the slightly more likely to grab a winner with Guernsey looking deflated, and that’s what happened five minutes in when Chris Marchant, who had just returned to the pitch after a suspension, struck from the edge of the D to claim victory.

Men's Vase Final

Stuart Tognarelli 4,62 (PC,F) Chris Beastall 23 (F)

Winchester narrowly won the Men’s Vase thanks to a 2-1 victory over Ashbourne. They got off to the perfect start and took the lead after just four minutes when Stuart Tognarelli struck a low penalty corner into the left of the goal. Winchester then dominated the next stages but found Ashbourne keeper Chris Burton in fantastic form as he made a string of fine saves to keep his side at bay. These saves proved to be vital as Ashbourne got back into the game on 23 minutes when Chris Beastall struck an unstoppable shot on his reverse past the Winchester keeper.

Winchester regained control of the game towards the end of the first half but were unable to convert any of their penalty corners. However, the best chance fell to Ashbourne when another well struck Chris Beastall shot only avoided the net by hitting a team mate on the line which signalled the end of the first half.

The second half started as the first did with Winchester having the best of the earlier play but they were unable to break through. Both sides went down to ten men but neither team were able to take advantage and the scores remained the same until eight minutes before the end when Tognarelli scored his second of the match to seal the victory for Winchester.