Guildford take the U14 Boys title while Surbiton retain the U14 Girls Championships

Kirkby Lonsdale on the ball against Harleston Magpies - U14 Championships 2014

The results are in from the U14 Championships that took place ovr the weekend from 10-11 May, and Guildford take the U14 Boys title while Surbiton retain the U14 Girls Championships.

In Pool A of the Boys competition Guildford started strongly with a 2-0 victory over Rugby and East Warwickshire, while Timperley and Cambridge City came out level at 2-2. Guildford went onto secure a convincing win putting 5 past Timperely, with Ben Russell netting two of the goals. Going into the final round of matches Cambridge City secured victory over eventual pool winners Guildford to book their slot in the third v fourth place play-off match.

Boys Pool B started with Surbiton as defending champions and Leicester making their intentions clear, both teams putting four goals past Saffron Walden and Alderley Edge respectively. Surbiton continued to dominate with an 8-0 victory over Alderley Edge, with captain Morgan Males scoring a hat trick all from open play. It all came down to the last game in the pool with both Surbiton and Leicester on equal points, although Surbiton had the advantage with a superior gaol difference. A win was required for Leicester and despite going 1-0 down three minutes into the first half they equalised through their captain Rohan Bhuhi in the eighth minute to make it 1-1 at the break. Leicester maintained the intensity in what was a tremendous advert for the game and secured the lead they required with only 10 minutes to go through Aneesh Deogan.

With Guildford having rested players for their last pool game they started the final strongly taking the game to Leicester, but Leicester’s defence held strong. It was not until six minutes into the second half that Guildford’s pressure paid off with Captain Josh Powell converting from a penalty corner. Leicester pulled out all the stops to push for an equaliser but in the last minute Guildford made sure of their first title through a Michael Purves goal.

On Sunday in the Girls Pool A, Beeston started strongly with a 2-0 win over Bournemouth whilst City of York and Old Loughtonians played out a closely fought 1-1 draw. Going into the second round of pool games both matches came out level leaving the table wide open with three of the four teams having a high chance of going through to the final. It was Beeston who booked their place with a 3-0 win over Old Loughtonians while Bournemouth took the runners up slot with a 1-0 win over City of York.

The Girls Pool B went much the same way as the Boys' with Surbiton and Kirkby Lonsdale both going into the final match of the pool with two wins, Surbiton with a superior goal difference. At the half time interval it was still 0-0 but within a minute Surbiton took the lead through a field goal from Fifi Robinson. A second goal quickly after the break from Taylor Weber made it difficult for the well-organised Kirkby Lonsdale team and Abbie Strachan made sure with Surbiton’s third goal in the dying minutes. Harleston Magpies and Worcester played out a tense and exciting affair with Harleston just edging it 3-2 to play off for the fifth v sixth position.

With the sun coming out and an enthusiastic crowd cheering on at Wakefield Hockey Club the final was closely fought with nothing to split the teams going into the half-time interval. While both teams had their chances the game was heading for penalty stokes when, with only two minutes left on the clock, Surbiton’s Yasmin Chahal netted from a penalty corner. Beeston could not respond and Surbiton retained the Championships. Kirkby Lonsdale took third place with a 2-1 win over Bournemouth.