Forsyth fires Surbiton to third

Alan Forsyth Surbiton 480 x 290

Beeston 1 (0)
James Blackwell 20 (FG)

Surbiton 2 (0)
Alan Forsyth 18, 43 (FG, FG)

Alan Forsyth’s brace was enough to give Surbiton a 2-1 win over Beeston in the 3rd and 4th place playoff. The Scotland striker fired home the opener right at the end of the first quarter before adding a second in the 43rd minute, after James Blackwell had levelled the scores in between.

With both sides aiming to forget the disappointment of their semi-final defeats the previous day the game started at a fast pace. Beeston employed a high energy pressing game which seemed to pay dividends as they enjoyed the better of the opening salvos. David Kettle did well to keep out Tim Whiteman and Sam Ward before Forsyth drew an excellent block from international teammate Jamie Cachia at the other end. With just 38 seconds remaining in the quarter Surbiton broke the deadlock. Forsyth raced away into the D and hit a backhand strike underneath the goalkeeper for 1-0.

Beeston replied in the 20th minute. Harry Martin engineered some space inside the D and fed Sam Ward, whose first time pass set up Blackwell to slot home via the goalkeeper’s pads.

Kettle helped preserve Surbiton’s lead going into half time saving from both Ward and Ben Arnold.

At the start of the third quarter Forsyth went close to adding to his tally as he crashed a shot off the post and then, was denied by a splendid save from Cachia, tipping the No17’s fierce shot onto the bar. He was not to be denied minutes later, however as he showed his poacher’s instinct to fire home a loose ball from close range.

As Beeston pressed for an equaliser in the fourth quarter Surbiton sat deeper in their own half, aiming to catch their opponents on the break. David Beckett’s invention almost allowed Geoff McCabe to score but he flashed his shot wide of the far post.

Kettle was involved once more, getting down sharply to his right to beat away a Ward penalty corner but despite a late onslaught, Beeston could not find the equaliser and Surbiton took the spoils.

The two-goal hero told England Hockey afterwards:

"Yesterday we just didn't show up and it was one of those days. It's tough to get up for a game after that disappointment. Beeston is always going to be a hard test and it was nice to face them at a different venue even though it wasn't the game we wanted to be playing." he added "I feel we controlled the game, maybe not on the ball, but off it. When we had to win it, we won it, and that's how we played, and it came off today."

With just one more game of men's finals weekend to come, it is soon time to turn your attention to the Investec Women's Finals weekend. Tickets are still available, for all the details click here.