Browne blitz sinks Reading in feast of goals

Canterbury celebrate at super 6s 480 x 290

Canterbury 9 (4)
Ivo Moreira 2 (FG)
Harry Jawanda 5, 19 (FG, FG)
Kwan Browne 15, 25, 37 (PC, PC, PC)
Ross Gilham-Jones 23 (FG)
Wei Adams 23, 35 (FG, FG)

Reading 6 (0)
Dan Shingles 22 (FG)
Tom Carson 29 (FG)
Simon Mantell 36, 39 (PC, FG)
Andy Watts 39, 40 (FG, FG)

A devastating display of finishing from Canterbury set up a repeat of last year’s final against East Grinstead. Four unanswered goals in the first half put the Polo Farm outfit in a strong position and despite Reading throwing caution to the wind in the second half, Canterbury couldn’t be stopped.

Canterbury struck early on. Liam Foster did well to keep the ball alive and from the cut back Ivo Moreira was on hand to find the bottom corner to make it 1-0. Andy Watts had a good chance at the other end to level the scores but he couldn’t get the better of Diccon Stubbings who made the save.
Harry Jawanda made it 2-0 on five minutes. The No3 robbed Richard Springham just outside the circle and showed why he is the Kent side’s top scorer in this competition with a superb finish.

A lovely passing move involving Chris Newman, Andy Watts and Simon Mantell carved Canterbury open but Mantell couldn’t quite find the finish and the chance was gone. At the other end a strong run by Ross Gilham-Jones almost brought a third but his deft effort went just wide of the post. The Polo Farm outfit won a penalty corner. Tommy Alexander made a wonderful save to deny Liam Foster. Immediately, Reading won a corner of their own. They were unable to capitalise and the two-goal lead stayed intact. The two-goal lead became a three-goal lead on 15 minutes. Kwan Browne slotted in a trademark penalty corner to the delight of the Green and White fans who were out in force.

A mazy run from Newman set up Watts but he was denied by a sprawling save from Stubbings as Reading tried in vain to get themselves on the board before half time. There was still time for Jawanda to plunder his second before the interval after a lovely steal and assist from Browne, as Canterbury threatened to take the game away from Reading.

Reading started the second half with a kicking back in place of a goalkeeper, knowing they had to produce a special performance to rescue the game. The tactic paid off immediately as Dan Shingles reduced the arrears, beating Stubbings at his near post. The cushion was restored and then increased in a matter of moments, however as Gilham-Jones and Wei Adams scored quick-fire goals to make it 6-1. Richard Mantell who had taken on the kicking back duties made a superb save with his body but from the resultant penalty corner Browne made it 7-1 with his second. Reading pulled another one back with a well-worked goal from Tom Carson in which they made full use of the boards before slotting home.
Mantell continued to perform miracles in the Reading backline but he could do little to prevent Adams grabbing his second and Canterbury’s eighth. To their credit, the 'Ding kept going and pulled another back through Simon Mantell before Browne completed his hat-trick from a penalty corner at the other end.

Canterbury brought on substitute goalkeeper Rory Kerr for the final minutes but his first effort was to watch on as Watts fired an unstoppable strike past him. Simon Mantell added another and Watts struck again to bring Reading to within three, but it was too little, too late and Canterbury won an enthralling game.  

A delighted Harry Jawanda spoke to England Hockey afterwards, watch the video below.

You can watch the final on BT Sport 2 at 17:15.