Pheninckx double hands East Grinstead the title

East Grinstead women celebrate Super6s victory 480 x 290

Canterbury 1 (0)
Sarah Kerly 31 (FG)

East Grinstead 3 (1)
Malou Pheninckx 10, 40 (FG, FG)
Takara Haines 35 (PC)

A brace from Malou Pheninckx handed East Grinstead women the Super 6s title in a dramtic final against Canterbury. The Dutch star struck in the first half and then in the final minute to help her side to a 3-1 win in a keenly contested clash with Canterbury.

Takara Haines added a penalty corner in the 35th minute and although Canterbury had parity thanks to Sarah Kerly’s goal it wasn’t enough.

The Kent side had the first clear chance of the match from a penalty corner. Grace Balsdon took the shot but Becky Waters, the former Canterbury goalkeeper was out like lightning to make the save. It was déjà vu moment later as the East Grinstead stopper somehow diverted Balsdon’s shot over the bar with her face mask.

With ten minutes on the clock the Sussex side got their noses in front. A lovely run from left to right from Malou Pheninckx opened up the space and the 24-year-old supplied a nice finish to break the deadlock. Grinstead almost went further ahead but Mel Clewlow kept her cool to clear off the line from Emma-Lee Smith whilst at the other end Waters denied Kerly with an excellent stop. Canterbury continued to knock at the door and Waters was at her imperious best once again to smother a chance for Lizzie Neal as the score remained 1-0 to East Grinstead at the interval.

Canterbury forced a penalty corner at the start of the second period and with Emma Lee Smith sent to half way for breaking early they moved the ball wide, Balsdon fired it across for Dirkie Chamberlain whose deflection hit the woodwork. The frame of the goal came to Canterbury’s rescue moments later as Davis’ shot hit the upright with Helen Fagg making a superb save to keep out the rebound from Pheninckx.

Time was ticking away but with nine minutes to play Canterbury got their equaliser. With the ball hitting a foot in the circle the umpire played a superb advantage allowing Sarah Kerly to snap up the loose ball to tie it up at 1-1.

East Grinstead rallied and re-took the lead from an excellent penalty corner from Takara Haines with five minutes to play. Canterbury withdrew their goalkeeper as a last throw of the dice. There was a moment of high drama almost immediately as the Kent side won a penalty corner. Once again the jet-heeled Waters arrived at the edge of the circle to block this time from Anna Kolarova. With Canterbury throwing it all forwards, East Grinstead made it safe with under a minute left as Pheninckx grabbed her second to clinch the title.

Becky Waters the East Grinstead goalkeeper spoke to England Hockey afterwards. You can see what she said in the video below: