Cheltenham Boys U14 Champions

Cheltenham Boys U14 Champions

Boys Pool A

Marden Russets v Harrogate

The first game of the day at the U14 Club Finals saw a highly supported one for both sides. A strong attack from Marden Russets in the first 5 minutes put them one goal up through Ben Errington.  Valiant defending from Harrogate wasn’t quite enough to keep Marden out and their 2nd came from Oliver Addis via a penalty corner to finish the game 2-0 to Marden.

City of Peterborough v Cheltenham

On Pitch two was a game packed with goals. City of Peterborough go 2-0 up in the first 5 minutes with goals form Eddie Harper and Joey Evison. A quick response from Cheltenham resulted in a goal from Jacob Payton from open play. Both sides were playing well but City couldn’t keep Cheltenham out for much longer. Two more goals in quick succession put Cheltenham ahead and in the top half of the table going into the next game.

Cheltenham v Marden Russets

The winners from the first games of the day were bound to produce end to end action. Good chances from both sides and plenty of last ditch defending kept the score line 0-0 at half time. With it all to play for in the second half both teams needed an extra push to get the edge. With no one able to break the deadlock the result remained at 0-0 making Pool A very close after the second game.

Harrogate v City of Peterborough

Another 0-0 draw came from a close game between Harrogate and City of Peterborough. Both sides put in robust performances but neither could find the back of the net. This put Marden Russets and Harrogate on 4 points apiece going into the third game making it a close pool for all four teams.

Marden Russets v City of Peterborough

Marden went into this game leading the pool and needed a convincing win to secure the place in the final. An early goal from Eddie Harper for City of Peterborough meant that the Kent side had their work cut out in the second half. Sam Wheatley levelled the score with a field goal on the half time buzzer taking them into the break at one apiece. Both teams worked hard during the second half but another late goal for Marden from Ben Errington meant that they would have to wait for the result on the other pitch to discover their fate.

Cheltenham v Harrogate

Cheltenham needed a solid win to book their place in the final – with chances hard to come by in the first half for both teams it was 0-0 at the interval. Both sides needed a big performance in the second half. That's what Cheltenham got. A fantastic hat-trick from Jacob Payton, adding to his two goals earlier in the day, meant they had not only won but confirmed their place in the final.

Boys Pool B

Beeston v Bishops Stortford

The reigning champions began their title defence against a determined Bishops Stortford. It was tough game to call and with no score until the second half defending was tight from both teams with little between them. Eventually Joe Power managed to put away a penalty corner to put Bishops Stortford in the lead to win the first game of the day by a single goal.

Team Bath Buccaneers v Surbiton

With Surbiton looking to take the double this weekend they started with a win in their first game of the day despite a brave showing by Team Bath Buccaneers. Both teams had their chances but it was Joseph Farmer with a brace of goals for Surbiton, both from open play, that clinched the three points and put them top of the group.

Team Bath Buccaneers v Beeston

Two evenly-matched teams would make for a good game over on pitch two. Another goalless first half applied the pressure to both sides, but they delivered in an entertaining second half. A field goal from Kallum Wilkins gave Beeston the lead but was quickly followed by a Will Prentice goal for Team Bath. Neither team could find another breakthrough and the match ended 1-1.

Surbiton v Bishops Stortford

With teams starting to tire throughout the day the games were certainly getting harder. However despite this, and some robust defending, Surbiton slotted two away in the first half. To finish off the 3-0 win Issac Rodrigues-Mendes scored the last goal of the game with four minutes to go to get the all important three points for Surbiton

Beeston v Surbiton

Surbiton were knew a win would seal their place in the final and they didn't disappoint, putting on a terrific show. Three first half goals including a brace from Joseph Farmer put them in the ascendancy. A second half goal from Xavier Teyletche-Bailey made it 4-0 and confirmed Surbiton’s place in the final against Cheltenham

Bishops Stortford v Team Bath Buccaneers

For the last pool game of the day both teams put in a sterling effort to keep playing at full pace. A win for Bath Buccs would put them into the 3rd/4th playoff and it was evident from the start that they were determined to do that. An early goal from John Holdoway got them off to a good start, followed by an open play goal for Tom Henly sealing their place with a 2-0 win.

7th/8th Play Off

Harrogate v Beeston

Pride was at stake for both these sides and both put in a solid performance in their final classification game. Valiant defending from Beeston could not keep the Harrogate boys out and after eight minutes Tom Lee put away a penalty corner to take the lead. Another in the second half from Matty Bird sealed a 2-0 win for the Yorkshire side.

5th/6th Play Off

Bishops Stortford v City of Peterborough

The highest scoring game of the day came in this contest. Joey Evison started things off within 3 minutes to add to his goals from earlier in the day. And from then on City of Peterborough kept scoring. Two more for Evison brought him a hat trick. Tom Snelling hit back for Bishops Stortford giving them hope of a comeback but it wasn’t to be. Another for Eddie Harper and one for Max Etherington meant that Tom Snellings’ brace for Bishops Stortford was in vain with City of Peterborough running out 5-2 victors.

3rd/4th Play Off

Marden Russets v Team Bath Buccanneers

An emotional game from both teams lead to great viewing for all the spectators. Dramatic defending at either end kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Marden took an early lead through a goal from Sam Wheatley. Bath rallied but it wasn’t quite enough and a brace from Louis Ridge handed Russets a 3-0 win and third place. 


Cheltenham v Surbiton

This was an end to end game from the first whistle. Cheltenham powered into the lead with a Freddie Thomas field goal but were halted by a quick leveller from Surbiton’s Joseph Farmer. Another attack from Surbiton paid dividends as Spencer Woods put them in the lead going into the last five minutes. A last ditch attempt from Joel Birchmore paid off tying the game at 2-2 with a minute to play. Neither side could find a late break through meaning penalty strokes were needed to settle this one. Cheltenham kept their cool not missing a single stroke, and with the help of goalkeeper Olly Smart, the took the title of U14 National Champions.