England Hockey Board synopsis

England_Hockey_Logo

Lead

Royston Hoggarth

Note Taker

Helen Davies

Present

Andy Hunt, Andy Tapley, Ed Barney, Ian Wilson, Jonathan Cockcroft, Katy Roberts, Mike Stoddard, Neville Wrench, Rich Beer, Richard Sykes, Sally Munday, Sue Bodycomb


NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE MINUTES

Apologies for Absence

Kate Swann, Paul Bickerton (Sport England), Sheila Morrow (GB President)

 

1.   Minutes of meeting held on 30 January 2017  

a)    Points of accuracy:

The minutes were approved as a true and accurate recording with the following amendments.

·         Richard Sykes is the President of Hampstead and Westminster Hockey Club.

·         Page 4 - Board effectiveness; The Chair is looking at alternative options.

 

b)    Matters arising

·         Build into the review of the Futures Cup, feedback on the new summer dates.

·         Jon Cockcroft to follow up action on the quality of the EHL season.

·         A regular review on performance centres to be built in to the Committee updates.

·         RCC to return to the Board on the motion approved by the AGM.

 

c)    Declarations of interest

·         Andy Tapley is currently involved in the Trustee recruitment process with the Hockey Museum.

 

2.   . Executive Report

As read with the following points:

·         Rich Beer over 500 people are expected to attend the England Hockey Awards.

·         Sally Munday mentioned the new Athlete Personal Award matrix and highlighted that the figures apply to both squads.

·         The National Age Group Squads funding award has now been confirmed.

·         Sue Bodycomb highlighted the new August dates for the Futures Cup and that she was aware of some negativity with the change.  Ed Barney agreed to have the date built into the feedback review.

·         Jon Cockcroft updated the sales figures from the forthcoming Eng v Arg match.

·         Jon Cockcroft highlighted further developments from various potential sponsorship deals.

·         Mike Stoddard asked if there was a new captain of the men’s squad, Ed Barney explained to the Board the set up for future captaincy.

·         Rich Beer summarised the developments of Charlie Matters.

·         Andy Tapley and Andy Hunt raised the clarity of the website and the challenges faced when searching for information.  This will be a future agenda item.

·         Sally Munday updated the Board on the appointment of Sheila Morrow as the new GB President. 

·         The Board congratulated Wimbledon Hockey Club with their successful run into the final 4 of the European Hockey League. 

 

3.   Increased Visibility

a) Men’s World League 2017

Jon Cockcroft presented to the Board an update on the Men’s World League.  It was highlighted as being the most important event for the men this year. 

 

4.   International Success

a) Bridging the Gap update and timeline

Taken as read.  The Board discussed in great detail the bridging the gap project and how the league structure will sit alongside the new Home and Away international programme being introduced by the FIH.  It was agreed that a huge amount of work is to be completed in the next 6-8 weeks. The Board will be kept updated.

5.   Strong and respected NGB

a) Management accounts

Ian Wilson highlighted that Hero Honda have agreed to become the title sponsors of the World League which has helped to lessen the financial risk.  Andy Hunt referenced a potential saving which could be utilised towards the new website.  Mike Stoddard asked for clarification on the World League figures to date and Ian Wilson confirmed that the difference was the contribution from funding partners, GLA and UK Sport, which has been delayed. 

b) Committee updates

Taken as read.  Richard Sykes requested an overview of the EHL season, JC to follow this action up.  AT requested a regular review on Performance Centre activities as the challenge on the volunteer groups should not be underestimated. 

Ian Wilson updated the board on the recent National Discipline Panel meeting and across most regions there has been an increase in the number of red cards issued. The understanding of the new technical red card rule has improved since Christmas.

c) RCC update

Neville Wrench highlighted that both Peter Leaton (East) and Janet Hopkins (Midlands) will be stepping down and Sally Tippen (East) and Martin Hives (Midlands) will replace them.  UKAFHA (UK Armed Forces Hockey Association) have requested to compete in England Hockey competitions.  The terms will be drafted by a representative from England Hockey and the UKAFHA.  The RCC will come back to the Board on the motion set at the AGM

 

d) Health and Safety update

Ian Wilson confirmed he would provide an end of season report at the next Board meeting on the injury reporting being receiving back from clubs. 

e) AGM resolution recommendation for next steps

Rich Beer introduced the paper which set out plans to address the AGM resolution. The resolution required work that needed properly scoping and the Board discussed the scale of work involved. The Board agreed with the suggested plan to form a working group.

f) Charity – recommendation of Chair

The Board agreed that Philip Kimberley should be appointed as Chair.

g) Code of Good Governance

Taken as read.

The Board approved the proposal to work within the demands on the Code ahead of formally changing the Articles at the next AGM.

h) Hockey Museum

Taken as read.  Ian Wilson advised the Board that the Hockey Museum are faced with a major decision on new premises and are discussing their long term relationships with their key stakeholders, EH and the FIH.

The Board approved the vision outlined in the paper strengthening the relationship between EH and the Museum.

AOB

The Board thanked Sue Bodycomb and both Vice Presidents for their commitment to so many end of season events.