WGMA European Tournament in Glasgow 070s Report

ENGLAND V WALES SUNDAY 20TH AUGUST 2017                                              3 - 0


England's first game was against the Welsh over 70's at 1400hrs. England started well in the first quarter, moving the ball around at the back and midfield therefore dominating the opposition, eventually this enabled Andy Barnes, from right midfield, to gain possession and enter the Welsh 'D' along the goal line from the right where he slipped the ball to Gordon Small who was waiting on the far post to score. Shortly after the goal, the ball was transferred from midfield to Lloyd Wood who played the ball onto a defenders foot resulting in a short corner, from which German Singh scored goal number 2.

The second quarter enabled England to change their line up but, unfortunately the changes seemed to affect them more than the opposition. With the defence not keeping their eyes on the replacement welsh centre forward he was allowed to move around a little to freely, which eventually led to a one on one situation which Colin Kimber the England goal keeper, dealt with brilliantly seconds before the half time hooter.

The third quarter started in much the same way as the second quarter had finished. England raised their game in the fourth quarter and following several attacks, which unfortunately came to nothing. Following this, Alan Wade ran the ball into the Welsh 'D' and took a shot at goal which deflected off a defenders stick into the air and Gordon Small struck it, at chest height, into the Welsh goal. England continued to dominate and despite more short corners were not able to score again.



ENGLAND V BELGIUM TUESDAY 22ND AUGUST 2017                       7 - 0


England's second game was against the Belgian over 70 debutantes at 1400hrs. Once again England started well in the first quarter, moving the ball around and creating many numerous chances with Stephen Stowell scoring the first one with a neat deflection. Unfortunately the remainder of the quarter failed to produce any more goals.

In the second quarter, England continued to dominate a defensive Belgian side but were denied by an extremely agile goalie, who made several good saves from Stephen Stowell.  Following this, some very good approach play ended with a pass to Greg Hutchings just outside the 'D' and he quickly turned the defender and placed his shot firmly in the left hand corner. One minute later, following a goalmouth melee Gordon Small edged the ball to David Thompson who scored. This left England with a 3 - 0 lead at half time.

After the restart we continued to frustrate the opposition by not allowing them any time on the ball. After a short corner had been saved Lloyd Wood calmly lifted the ball over the prostrate keeper to make it 4 - 0. Following one of several incidents in midfield, John Maylam was deservedly shown a green card. In the fourth quarter with the opposition looking very tired, England were rejuvenated and completed the rout with goals by Dave Durrans and Stephen Stowell with Gordon Small scoring the final goal from an excellent slip pass from Greg Hutchings.



ENGLAND V SCOTLAND WEDNESDAY 23RD AUGUST 2017                             5 - 0

England's third game was against the Scottish over 70's at 1030hrs. This was England's first and only match on the No 1 pitch in front of video cameras live streaming onto YouTube.

From the onset England pressed the Scottish defence and scored their first goal, by German Singh, from a penalty corner. Unfortunately, despite continued pressure no further goals were forthcoming in the first half. In the third quarter a number of chances were created, but not taken.

In the fourth quarter the game was transformed and England picked up the pace as the Scottish players grew weary and conceded an early penalty corner, which England transferred around the circle enabling Greg Hutchings to crash the ball home. Three minutes later, following some good approach play down the right hand side the ball was transferred across in front of the keeper for David Thompson to deftly complete the move. Due to a rash tackle, John Ridings received England's second green card.

Whilst down to ten men England's Greg Hutchings scored his second goal following a pass from the left. During this period David Durrans' shot hit the post as did Stephen Stowell's clever deflection. A further deflection by Stephen Stowell from a well struck ball into the circle, completed the goal tally and a greatly improved fourth quarter. Scotland's only successful attack resulted in a penalty corner in the dying seconds. This was saved on the line by German Singh ensuring that England's clean sheet was maintained.


This was England's most important game and it was vital that they did not lose. A new format was adopted with close marking of certain Dutch players which led to a more defensive line up. German Singh, Adrian Robertson and Barry Mills all had an excellent game in defence as did Stephen Stowell up front and Brian Perryman in control of the midfield. Both teams had several penalty corners, but due to good defensive work by the defence and goalkeepers neither side was able to score.

In the second half both teams continued to cancel each other out with both sides having one or two good scoring opportunities, including one excellent save by Colin Kimber, the England goalkeeper. As the players tired. spaces opened up and some hard running on both sides created chances in the last 10 minutes of play but they came and went. This means both England and Netherlands have equal points at the head of the table and the gold medal will be decided tomorrow. 



ENGLAND V GERMANY SUNDAY 27TH AUGUST 2017                       6 - 0


England's final, crucial game of the tournament was against Germany and as the Netherlands were playing immediately afterwards it was essential that England settled early in order to score enough goals to make things difficult for the Netherlands to overtake them for the gold medal.

England started very well, moving the ball around and after two minutes of excellent passing Stephen Stowell opened the scoring. Following more impressive passing the ball was played to Lloyd Wood in the left corner. After beating two defenders, he wrong-footed the goalkeeper and scored by the keepers right hand post.

The second quarter was played at a slower pace although several chances were created and one of which was finished off at the at the keepers right hand post by Gordon Small making the score 3 - 0 at half time. In the third quarter England continued to dominate, although Germany did have one breakaway which produced a fine save by Colin Kimber the England keeper.

In the fourth quarter, with the Germans tiring, England continued to dominate producing many scoring chances although not all being taken. Greg Hutchings scored the next goal from some good midfield play, quickly followed by a short corner for England, who changed their routine and Adrian Robertson received the pass out and hit the ball to the keepers right hand post where Stephen Stowell got the final touch to make it 5 - 0. Germany tried for a final time to score, but the shot was aptly dealt with by Mo Umney England's other keeper. England's final short corner followed a similiar routine, but this time Adrian Robertson hit the ball to the oppositepost where Lloyd Wood was waiting to touch the ball in for the final time.

A tense 30minutes remained whilst the Netherlands played their final game against Belgium, but they were unable to score 8 or more goals. This meant that England were the gold medal winners, having scored 21goals and conceded none.

A final thanks must go to all the players for their efforts and to Ben Rea as manager.

At the end of the European Cup England had scored 21 goals and conceded none.


Stephen Stowell               5

Greg Hutchings                4

Gordon Small                   4

Lloyd Wood                      3

German Singh                  2

David Thompson              2

Dave Durrans                   1


Gordon Small & John Ridings (Match secretaries)