REPORT: Netherlands win the Vitality Hockey Women's World Cup

Netherlands World Cup 4

The Netherlands completed a successful defence of their Vitality Hockey Women’s World Cup title with a 6-0 win over Ireland.

Goals from Lidewij Welten, Kelly Jonker, Malou Pheninckx, Kitty Van Male, Marloes Keetels and Caia Van Maasakker led the Dutch to victory in a dominant display.

A full house of 10,000 packed into Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre for the showpiece final and an incredible atmosphere was created fitting for the occasion.

Ireland had shocked the hockey world to reach the final and despite the scoreline battled for the entirety roared on by the crowd.

It was a frantic start to proceedings however the Dutch soon took control of the ball and were causing problems for the Irish defence. 

On seven minutes the Netherlands again penetrated the circle and after a poor clearance Welten was able to collect and shoot on the turn sending the ball past McFerran.  

The pressure continued but the Ireland defence were solid against the penalty corner threat of Caia Van Maasakker and held firm ahead of the first break.

Immediately from the restart the lead was doubled as Jonker netted her sixth goal of the tournament.

Malou Pheninckx made a good run down the right and her cut back was hammered towards goal. McFerran made the save but Jonker reacted quickest to send a strong backhand strike into the bottom corner.

Two goals in quick succession saw the Dutch take a 4-0 lead into half-time as Van Male slapped home from a penalty corner before Pheninckx hammered a fierce shot high into the net.

Two became three on the stroke of half-time, from a penalty corner the ball found its way wide to Van Male who slapped hard at goal with too much power for McFerran.

Two more goals in the third quarter put the result beyond any doubt as Welten crossed to Keetels to finish from close range before Van Maasakker made it six with a stunning drag-flick into the top right corner.

The final fifteen minutes was a calmer and quieter affair, the Irish team continued to give their all and successfully kept the Dutch attack at bay, showing more of what had got them all the way to the final.

The final whistle eventually blew as the Dutch players and staff flooded the pitch to celebrate retaining their title.