Mixed Championship Finals 2018/19

Mixed Championship Finals 2018/19
A glorious morning on Sunday 9 June at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre for the Mixed Championship Final 2018/19. It began with the Tier 2 Final, UK Fire Service took on Leeds Adel for Bronze and Firebrands fought Horsham for Gold. 

Captain Lee Slipanczewski gave the UK fire service an early lead and snuck a 2nd passed the goalie shortly after, Leeds Adel didn’t give up and James Moorhouse scored the 1st for his team. Early in the 2nd half William Powley scored making it 2-2, but, a penalty corner for UK fire Service put them back in the lead with a goal from Andrew Cavendish. Louis Scarrott scored his 1st of the match giving UK Fire Service a 4-2 lead
Louisa Denman opened the score sheet for Horsham in the battle for gold with a goal late into the 1st half, she quickly followed it up with a 2nd. Bristol Firebrands fought but Goalie Nick Evans wasn’t making it easy. With less than 3 minutes to go Firebrands scored a great goal by Doug Ward but they weren’t finished, a 2nd from Bella Slawin was scored . The game ended Firebrand 2, Horsham 3. 

 The final standings for the Tier 2 final are:
1st – Horsham 
2nd - Firebrands
3rd – UK Fire Service 
4th – Leeds Adel

The second set of matches of the day are the Tier 1 final. Winchester battle Oxton for Bronze and Southgate face Repton for gold. 

Repton took an early lead with Claudia Swain scoring just minutes in. Repton’s Emilia Kacmarczyk scored the 2nd for her team late into the 1st half. Repton extended their lead with a goal from Dom Bennet. Southgate’s battle continued when they went down to 9 players due to 2 cards but some solid defending meant that Repton didn’t manage to score. With just over 6 minutes left in the game Drew Burkin scored his teams first of the game, but Southgate were hungry for more. Southgate got a late penalty corner with just seconds left on the clock, Katie Hopkisson snuck it passed the keeper making the final score 3-2.

The battle for bronze began with Oxton taking an early lead with a goal from Alistair Mckenzie. Rob Craddock scored the equalizer for Winchester with a few minutes remaining in the 1st half. Oxton extended their lead by scoring 2 goals early in the 2nd, both from Ethan Price, but it didn’t stop there. Ethan managed to grab himself a hattrick and Alistair Mckenzie getting his second. Ethan didn’t stop there, he got his 4th of the match making the final score 6-2 to Oxton.

The final standings for the Tier 1 final are:
1st – Repton
2nd - Southgate
3rd – Oxton 
4th – Winchester 

What a fantastic morning of sport before Great Britian face Australia in the FIH Pro League double header.