Surbiton scoop streak-breaking Super 6s title

Alan Forsyth in action
Surbiton 12 (4)
Jonny Gall, 2, (FG)
David Beckett, 4, 26, 31 (PC, FG, FG)
Rob Farrington, 18, 36 (FG, FG)
Alan Forsyth, 19, 32, 33, 38 (FG, PS, FG, FG)
William Marshall, 23 (FG)
Brendan Creed, 35 (FG)

East Grinstead 5 (0)
Ben Allberry, 30 (FG)
Adam Seccull, 32 (PC)
Josep Farres-Palet, 35, 37 (PC, FG)
Lukas Kilpper, 36 (FG)

Surbiton ended East Grinstead’s indoor dominance in emphatic style with a 12-5 victory in the Super 6s Final. East Grinstead were going for their ninth consecutive title but four goals from Alan Forsyth plus a hat-trick from David Beckett fired Mark Pearn's side to an historic win.

Surbiton started the stronger of the two sides and found themselves 2-0 up within five minutes. A through ball found Johnny Gall at the top of the circle and the No7 made no mistake, breaking the deadlock with a smart reverse finish. Two minutes later it was Beckett’s turn to celebrate as he converted a well-worked penalty corner routine for the Sugden Road side.

East Grinstead stemmed the flow of Surbiton’s attacking threat and soon forced some chances of their own through a succession of penalty corners. Harry Gibson was on hand though to save with his pads and maintain his side’s clean sheet. The Surbiton No1 was called into action moments later when East Grinstead broke but Lukas Kilpper’s shot from the left was charged down by an onrushing Gibson.

East Grinstead’s missed opportunities proved costly as two goals for Surbiton in the space of a minute sent them into the break with a four goal lead. Firstly, Mark Pearn played in Rob Farrington who slipped the ball through the legs of Patrick Smith before Forsyth added the fourth. The Scottish international used the rebound boards smartly to play himself a pass, before finishing superbly from the tightest of angles.

Surbiton continued as they’d left off in the second half with Farrington turning provider for Surbiton’s fifth as he slipped the ball inside for William Marshall to find the roof of the net. Beckett added the sixth before East Grinstead switched to six outfield players to see if they could break down a resilient Surbiton defence. It worked almost instantaneously when Nick Catlin linked up with Ben Allberry who slipped the ball through Gibson’s legs to make it 6-1.

The goals continued to flow for Surbiton with Beckett netting his hat-trick in the 26th minute. Adam Seccull pulled another back for Richard Organ’s side but with East Grinstead trying to make up the five goal deficit, they were understandably left exposed at the back. A penalty stroke for Forsyth followed by an open play goal seconds later gave the No17 his hat-trick and his side a 9-2 lead.

Josep Farres-Palet added a third for Reading before Brendan Creed decided to get in on the goal scoring action for Surbiton to take it into double figures. A minute later Farrington got his second as Surbiton broke from the back to convert from the right into an empty goal – 11-3 with four minutes left to play.

It was then East Grinstead’s turn to grab two goals in quick succession, firstly through Lukas Kilpper before Farres Palet netted his brace with a fantastic reverse stick scoop past Gibson. It was Forsyth who had the last laugh though, as the striker swivelled in the circle to beat his defender and smash home, sealing an emphatic 12-5 victory and Surbiton’s first indoor title.

Mark Pearn, the former East Grinstead star spoke to England Hockey afterwards about breaking his old club's eight year winning streak.