Senior Finals

The Senior Finals came to a conclusion this weekend under the blue skies at Bowdon and Old Loughtonians with teams up and down the country receiving the title of National Champions. 

Men's Vase and Trophy Competitions
At Bowdon, the Men’s Vase was won by Plashet who came from behind to defeat South Cheshire 2-1. It took South Cheshire just two minutes to open the scoring when Pete Mulford found the back of the net. However, this joy was short lived as Inderjeet Singh Panesar equalised for Plashet and then added a second shortly after to take his side into a 2-1 lead. South Cheshire battled hard to find the equaliser but it didn’t come as Plashet became Men’s Vase champions for the first time.

The Men’s Trophy Final was won by London Wayfarers as they defeated Eastbourne in a five goal thriller. London Wayfarers, who had already won the league in the same division at Eastbourne, took the lead on seven minutes through Darran Smith. However, Eastbourne fought back with two goals through Danny Williams and Andy Edwards to show that league form counts for nothing in the cup. With just two minutes to go before half time, the South Premier Two champions were level when Oliver Morgan converted a rebounded shot. Teams showed fatigue in the second half as the temperature raised and the only goal of the second half came ten minutes from time through Wayfarers Henry Mumme-Young who scrambled the ball home. Eastbourne had a chance to equaliser from a Penalty Corner after the final whistle had gone but they could not convert and London Wayfarers held on to make it a league and cup double.  

Women's Vase and Trophy Competitions
East Grinstead became the first side to retain the Women’s Vase when they got the better of Worthing in a very tight affair. East Grinstead dominated large parts of the first half but couldn’t find the break through. Stephanie Baggett scored seven minutes into the second half after a mix up in the Worthing defence and this turned out to be the only goal despite Worthing’s effort of an equaliser. Baggett missed a late stroke to add to her total but it didn’t matter as the whistle went seconds later. 

Teddington got the better of a five goal thriller as they beat Kendal 3-2 to lift the Women’s Trophy. Nicola Conway had opened the scoring for Kendal but strikes from Rebecca Eaton and Aimee Byrne meant that Teddington led 2-1 at the break. Kendal gave everything in the second half and had chance after chance to score but couldn’t find the equaliser until seven minutes from time when Conway added her second. This was the wakeup call that Teddington needed and they got their winner three minutes from time when captain Byrne led by example to get her second and the teams all important winner. 

Men's Seniors Matches
New Beccehamian were crowned champions of the Men’s Masters Over 50’s Plate as they came from behind to defeat Tunbridge Wells 5-3. Tunbridge Wells found themselves 2-0 up after just ten minutes with goals from Peter Mills and Alan Nicholson. However, this was soon turned around as a goal just before half time from New Beccs captain Alastair Houlston, followed by goals early in the second half from Richard Carver and Mark Linzey made the score 3-2. Mandeep Hansra added a brace to put New Beccs in control and despite a late goal by Tunbridge Wells with Alan Nicholson scoring his second, New Beccs held on to become Plate Champions. 

The Men’s Over 50’s Cup was won by Canterbury in a thrilling match which saw them beat Richmond 8-7 on penalty strokes. Richmond dominated much of the first half but found Canterbury goalkeeper Mike Taylor in fine form. However, Richmond did manage to find the net in the last minute of first half through Mark Precious to make the score 1-0 at half time. The second half saw play go from end to end with neither team able to find the net until a great piece of individual skill from Andrew Thrush saw Canterbury back in the game at 1-1 with just six minutes to go. With no more goals scored, the match went to Penalty Strokes and despite Canterbury missing their first two, they turned it around to win 8-7 and win the Cup for the first time. 

Isca won the Men’s Over 40’s Cup with a goal just ten seconds from time enough to beat Holcombe 2-1. Isca’s Graham Skinner opened the scoring but this was soon cancelled out by Holcombe’s Vince Lewis to make the score 1-1 at the break. Isca enjoyed much of the play in the second half but could not score until ten seconds to go when Andy Batchelors shot went in off the bar to give his side victory. 

East Grinstead’s Richard Leman was on form as he scored a hat trick in his side’s 4-2 victory over City of York to win the Men’s Over 40’s Plate. East Grinstead’s Bram Van Asselt added a goal to Leman’s previous two to make the score 3-0 before City of York scored from the edge of the circle to pull a goal back. Leman then completed his hat trick from a penalty corner which seemed to wrap up the victory despite Karim Ramli’s fantastic deflection late in the game which turned out to be just a consolation goal for City of York. 

Women's Seniors Matches
At Old Loughtonians, Wimbledon became the first winners of the Women’s Over 35’s Plate by beating Kettering on Penalty Strokes after the sides had drawn 4-4. Kettering took an early lead through Sue Simpson but Wimbledon led 2-1 at the break with goals from Michelle Clarke and Georgina Headley. Both teams doubled their tally in the second half and with ten minutes to go, the score was 4-2 to Wimbledon who looked in control. However, two goals in the last ten minutes from Kettering which included one in the last second from Karen Setchell sent the game into penalty strokes. The scores were level at 2-2 after three strokes each and as Wimbledon were the only other team to score, they won the stroke competition 3-2 to win the plate. 

The Women’s Over 35’s Cup Final was won by Ipswich for the first time. The Suffolk team found themselves 1-0 up at half time through Vickey Dixon but this was cancelled out two minutes into the second half through Michelle Mitchell. The game then could have gone either way but Sam Lister struck 13 minutes from time from a penalty corner to give Ipswich the win. 

Sunday at Old Loughtonians saw the Women’s Masters Over 40’s Tournament which was won by Northampton Hasbeans. They started off the tournament with a 1-0 victory over Wimbledon and despite a setback which saw them lose 1-0 to Horsham, they were always in control and sealed the title with a 1-0 win over Canterbury. Wimbledon came runners up on Goal Difference with Horsham in third, Canterbury in fourth and Weyreys from the West with just the one point to their name in fifth position.