University Hockey

College or University Clubs
Hockey is the second largest team sport within British College University Sport (BUCS) with over 550 men's and women's teams playing between October and March. To find more out about BUCS visit

Students can usually find out about opportunities to join sports clubs when they begin their studies, or through the Athletic Unions.

England Hockey and BUCS have work in partnership with an aim to deliver the best possible experience of hockey within the Higher Education sector.  In order to do so a joint 'Strategy for Hockey within Universities' has been created which aims to create more, better, happier players. The short strategy document can be found here 

Small Sided Hockey
An ever growing number of Universities are offering alternative ways for students to play hockey with small sided versions of the game becoming increasingly popular. The small sided hockey project is funded by Sport England and delivered in partnership between England Hockey and BUCS with an overall aim to increase participation. 

As part of the project England Hockey and BUCS have developed a 6-a-side version of the game, which aims to be authentic to the 11-a-side version of the game. This version which sees three pitches worth of hockey played at any one time on a single artificial grass pitch. The rules for the small sided version of the game can be found here 

Greg Sturge is the Small Sided Hockey Manager, if you are a member of a university and would like to speak to Greg directly he can be contacted on 

University Hockey Conference
England Hockey will be hosting the third University Conference for incoming student leads and Directors of Sport which will take place at the Hockey World League Semi Final on the 19th of June 2017.