Last summer, 630 clubs and providers provided hockey activity for adults and young people over five weeks with an amazing 23,000 people picking up a stick.
With your help, we want to give people the chance to get involved again this summer - England will be hosting the World League in June, and headed to the Europeans in August so we are expecting interest in hockey to continue on a high throughout the summer. And with a great partner in Join In we are really excited about the summer ahead!Be part of a summer of fun, five weeks of Give it a Go and Join In activity from the 27th July - 9th September offering people the opportunity to play hockey across England.
Give it a Go is a programme designed for people who haven't played before, or who may not have played in a long time. We will be running Adult and Young people Give it a Go during the summer of 2013 and we are looking for clubs and providers to register any activity they may have, where a new person could come along, have a great experience and get involved.
We have teamed up with Join In - their aim was for every sports club
and community group in the UK to capture the enthusiasm from our incredible summer of sport by hosting a special community event. In total, there were more than 6,000 events held for Join In 2012.
In 2013, it all starts again - bigger and better than ever before. And you're invited! The Join In and Give it a Go Summer kicks off on 27 July and runs through to 9 September.
Have a look at these great video's for more information
How can my club or business benefit from being part of Give it a Go and Join In?
England Hockey has teamed up with a number of partners to ensure that we can help promote your events from national level, through to regionally and locally.
We will take your sign up information, which you can provide below and push it to some major partners including Join In, BBC Things to Do, SPOGO, Change for Life to name but a few.
You can also expect:
- PR Toolkit for you to use at local level
- Social Media coverage of great ideas from England Hockey and Join In
What do we need to do to run Give it a Go and Join In Activity?
It's pretty easy - get your club committee to decide what they are running this summer and take note of the following:
- Can a new person to hockey take part and not be put off?
- Is the coach aware that people new to hockey may come along, and able to offer an appropriate session to them
- Running Back to Hockey for ladies is a great way to get involved
- Rush Hockey is also out there, and could be a great way to run your summer league
- Consider the adults who want to give it a go as well as the young people!
- How can you also use this opportunity to recruit volunteers?
- Think about the types of roles volunteers could do in your club.
- Try to offer activity once per week over the summer
- If you cant offer once per week, still register and we will do our best to promote your activity
Check out the Hockey Nation Portal - register for Give it a Go and we will update the portal for you
If you need any help or advice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org