Walking Hockey is exactly as the name suggests – you play hockey walking. Increasing in popularity, it’s perfect for players who are looking for a less physically demanding version of the game, but still enjoy showing their skills and being involved in the team and social aspect.
This all means it can help the club to keep members who would normally have stopped playing, along with opening it up to a whole new audience.
To support clubs England Hockey have invested in an online management system called ClubSpark that allows clubs to register, manage and promote their Walking Hockey sessions and makes the sessions easily found by potential players.
Suitable for all, Walking Hockey is proving popular with;
- Former players who have given up hockey due to age and / or injury or those attracted by the new angle on a sport they previously loved.
- People who have never played the sport before but are looking for a gentle sport as an introduction
- Players who have enjoyed other walking sports and now want to give hockey a go.
- Generations of families who want a version of the game they can play together.
- Current members who want to play a little more.
Clubs across the country have seen a variety of benefits by offering Walking Hockey;
- New Members – Walking Hockey can cater for those players who are unable to take part in mainstream hockey
- Keeping Members – Giving those that do play the opportunity to play for many more years
- More Players – Whilst many start with Walking Hockey, over time you will find they can filter through to your Back to Hockey or mainstream club sessions
- Increased Revenue – In addition to a small fee to cover the sessions, many clubs have also adopted a flexible membership option for Walking Hockey players
- Greater Publicity – By promoting suitable sessions to new or returning players and gaining positive PR, clubs have raised their profile in the local community
- Feel Good Factor – Letting social groups and families (and generations) play together in a fun and friendly environment
- Additional Volunteers – With more individuals at the club the pool of potential volunteers increases
- Maximum Pitch Usage – By thinking practically about the space available in existing bookings, many clubs have found they do not need to book additional spaces and therefore get greater value for money
To support clubs, we have provided several tools to help you plan, promote and run your sessions, including;
- ClubSpark - An online management system that allows clubs to register, manage and promote their Walking Hockey sessions and makes the sessions easily found by potential players. To access the system, please contact us and we will send you your club's bespoke sign up link for ClubSpark so your club can create a free account. You will then receive guidance on how to register your sessions on the site.
- Walking Hockey Club Support Guide: A guide that supports clubs to offer Walking Hockey, from preparing and promoting sessions through to session ideas and simple rules.
- Marketing Portal - An online portal where you can personalise marketing materials like posters and social media content to support with promotion of your sessions.
- Relationship Manager Support - Don’t forget to catch up with your local Relationship Manager to share your ideas and they can provide bespoke advice and guidance.
If you would like to discuss how your club can offer Walking Hockey or to gain access to ClubSpark, please get in touch here.
If you would like to ask a question or need further support please get in touch.Contact us