Player Caps - 84 Eng
Goals - 62 Eng
Sam Ward is a natural born goal scorer. His prowess in the circle saw him force his way into the international teams in 2014 and he has gone from strength to strength since.
A huge threat from both open play and penalty corners, Sam has established himself as one of the deadliest attackers in world hockey and nine times as he helped England to a bronze medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
He suffered a serious eye injury during the 2019 FIH Olympic Qualifier against Malaysia that threatened to end his career but has come back stronger and hungrier than before. He finished as the joint-highest scorer with six goals at the 2021 EuroHockey Championships with England before adding five more to his name with GB at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. In the summer of 2022 he helped England win a Commonwealth Games bronze medal in front of a home crowd in Birmingham.
Before becoming an international hockey player, Sam worked as a car salesman and now plies his trade domestically for Old Georgians, having previously featured for Leicester, Holcombe, Beeston and Loughborough Students.
- 2022 Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
- 2022 FIH Hockey Pro League
- 2021 EuroHockey Championships
- 2019 EuroHockey Championships
- 2018 Commonwealth Games
- 2018 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- 2017 Hockey World League Final
- 2017 EuroHockey Championships
- 2017 Hockey World League Semi-Final
- 2015 EuroHockey Championships
- 2014 Champions Trophy
- 2022 Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games - Bronze Medal
- 2018 Commonwealth Games - Bronze Medal
- 2018 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Silver Medal
- 2017 EuroHockey Championships - Bronze Medal
- 2017 Hockey World League Semi-Final - Bronze Medal
- 2023 EuroHockey Championships - Silver Medal