Since being called up to the senior programme in January 2017, James has become a key component of the midfield for both England and Great Britain.
In his first tournament he helped the latter win their first Sultan Azlan Shah gold medal before also winning bronze with England at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and playing at the 2018 World Cup.
He has barely missed a game for Great Britain too, appearing in the 2019 and 2020/21 FIH Hockey Pro League before making his Olympic debut in Tokyo.
It could have been so much different for James though, having fractured his skull and spine in a freak accident back in 2015. However, he has fought back superbly to become one of the most reliable and gritty players in the team with a long international future ahead of him.
- 2021 EuroHockey Championships
- 2019 EuroHockey Championships
- 2018 World Cup
- 2018 Commonwealth Games
- 2018 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- 2017 Hockey World League Final
- 2018 Commonwealth Games - Bronze Medal
- 2018 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Silver Medal